Photos app question initial set up problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chimpboy74, Apr 15, 2015.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hope someone can help. I've been struggling to set up photos app

Initially when photos appeared as part of latest update on my mac mini it didn't automatically recognise my iPhoto library and import it. So I tried to do it manually.

I have a lot of photos (146k+) so I set the import going and left to run overnight. This morning photos was saying it couldn't import some of my photos (about 144k of them!) saying meta data couldn't be found.

I was having problems with iPhoto previously where after yosemite update iPhoto would not display any pictures. I called apple support who managed to talk me through getting my photos back into iPhoto but it was a real mess with lots of duplicates and lots of (what I assumed to be) faces pictures appearing amongst normal events (ie not under the faces section), photos in wrong events etc.

Not sure if something has gone wrong or whether just the sheer number of photos and videos is causing an issue. I think there are around 146,000 photos and videos. These are all stored on an external drive due to space.

Can anyone make any suggestions of how to see them all so that I can perhaps trim that number down to remove any duplictaes/unwanted pictures?

2. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

There is no more information about the new Photos app right now. You may try to create a new photo library for your photos instead of importing from iPhoto library.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I can't help with Photos but you do have the iPhoto library backed up right? (had to ask, I would have restored the iPhoto library from backup when you had the iPhoto issue so interested why you didn't). If you don't have a backup you WILL lose them, its only a matter of time.

4. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    Yes I use time machine but no matter what i did I still ended up with an issue in iPhoto

Apple care couldn't really explain what was going on but suggested it may be due to the number of photos. Like I say they did fix it (ish), but now having this issue with photos app.

5. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Are there any other programs that I could use to view all my photos that might handle them better than I photos did? So far photos app ain't doing it for me (literally)