Photos (app) question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TroyB1965, Jun 10, 2015.

1. TroyB1965 macrumors newbie

TroyB1965

I recently migrated from PC's to an iMac, so please bear with me...

I successfully transferred a ton of pictures from my old PC to my iMac. I have many folders under the master folder titled, My Pictures.

I successfully imported the folder My Pictures into the Photos app. All >40K pictures.

My question is: Can I now delete the folders of pictures and save hard drive space? Do I now have 2 copies of each picture? Where on the hard drive are pictures in the Photo app located?

Thanks in advance...

2. TroyB1965 thread starter macrumors newbie

TroyB1965

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open Photos and go to preferences and make sure you have this box checked. If that copy items to Photo library box is checked, then all the photos now exist inside the Photos.library file in your user Picture folder and you can delete the other folders. Do not mess around inside that library file. It is meant to be accessed by Photos and not manually in Finder.

If you have an extra drive laying around, it would be a good idea to just keep those old folders in the drive just as an extra copy.
    Screen_Shot_2015-06-11_at_11_28_01_AM.png

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Heed Weaslboy's advice above.

You want a second copy of those pics around someplace.

If they're REALLY important to you, perhaps even a third copy as well.

Best way to do it is by backing up regularly to another drive using either Time Machine or a cloning app such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. I happen to prefer CCC...