Photos App... some brief observations and questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gavroche, Apr 8, 2015.

1. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

The first thing i noticed after running the Photos app is that some of my smart albums all had the same thing... all photos. Then i checked, and realized its because as the new app has no "events"... and those albums used events as criterium for inclusion... they basically reverted to using all photos. So i'll have to manually go in to all photos that had appeared in those albums and figure out some other method of limiting.

Second... i've read some of you on here say that the two apps should now exist separately on my machine. In the Pictures folder there does appear the iPhoto library and the Photos library. But i've read people saying that the new app just uses hard links to the files that are in the iPhoto app. So this would suggest that you can't delete the older iPhoto library, right? And i checked size.... the iPhoto library is 31GB, and the new Photos app library is only 19GB. I've always wondered why my computer is running out of space, and it seems that iPhoto is perhaps bloated? (i've always avoided doing any editing in iPhoto, to avoid creation of duplicate copies of a photo, but seems perhaps has happened anyway?).

All i got so far.

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm....

Pretty sure the contents are transferred over from the iPhoto to the Photo Library, so you should* be able to delete it.

To test, just move the iPhoto Library to your desktop and start up Photos. If it works, you're good.

And yeah, iPhoto library is likely just bloated over the years. No biggie, but it's nice to have to optimized.

*Should, meaning maybe.

3. davea11ee macrumors newbie

No more iPhoto

I thought Photos was added as an application. I didn't realize it replaced iPhoto. I have a ton of Events that are now lost and I can't go back. I would love to reorganize them as Albums and have Photos convert them over. Now they are just lost. Does anybody know of a way to get a copy of iPhoto on 10.10.3 working?

4. gavroche thread starter macrumors 6502a

gavroche

You can still launch and run iPhoto.... it just gives you a warning message that any changes you make in iPhoto will not be reflected in the Photos app.

5. firmansolutions macrumors member

firmansolutions

look closer

There is an album in the Photos app called "iPhoto Events" which has migrated across all the events from iPhoto.

6. Mildredop macrumors 68020

So far, I hate Photos.

I also really miss the preview of all the photos in an album/event you used to get when rolling the pointer over an album

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

iPhoto is still there on 10.10.3

8. CoreForce macrumors regular

Photos keeps crashing on me.
    Started, just sitting there and after a while it core dumps.
    On a brand new iMac Retina i7.
    Anyone else?

9. kieru macrumors newbie

@CoreForce - I'm on the same machine, iMac Retina 4GHz i7 and not having any issues opening or running the application. I also have 32GB of RAM though so maybe that is an issue?

It would be scary if Photo needs that much to run... but maybe if you have a LOT of photos it needs to process...