Photos app zooming in

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by groovyf, Oct 18, 2013.

1. groovyf macrumors 6502

So, since iOS7, the Photos app zooms in all my photos to fill the screen (4s). Now previously, I could pinch out slightly and the photo would "letter-box" and show the whole image without either cropping off the top or sides depending whether it was shot portrait ort landscape.
    Now when I pinch out, it minimises the photo back to the Camera Roll view.
    What gives?
    Is there a trick I'm missing?

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure from your description what you're actually trying to achieve.

In my Camera Roll, tapping a photo, then tapping it again shows the photo in full screen. Swiping left or right shows the next photo in full screen, regardless of picture orientation. Why would I want to zoom out if I can see the whole picture?

3. groovyf thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure I've described it properly... Yeah, tapping the photo brings it full screen from Camera Roll, however if you pinch-in slightly you'll see more of the pic at the sides appear.
    What used to happen was the image would "snap" to the screen correctly (and you'd get black bars top and bottom but showing all the image side to side.
    I've just managed to get it to work properly after 20 attempts at pinching without it dropping back to camera roll view.
    I took a screen shot of both. Same image but "full screen" (normal) view doesn't show the whole image that was taken in this one. The next post you can see there is more of the image to left & right.

Attached Files:

4. groovyf thread starter macrumors 6502

...and here's the same photo where I managed to get it to snap to screen like it used to on iOS6 without it going back to Camera Roll view.
    Here, you can clearly see more of the image to the left & right, along with black bars top & bottom.
    I'm into my photography so notice little things like this when showing anything I take on the iPhone, more noticeable when taking landscape shots.

Attached Files:

5. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

This is my only frustration with iOS 7. There's no way to "zoom out" a photo ):

6. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

That's my only complaint as well on the 5S. Photos do not fill up the screen in landscape. There are black bars on both side of the photo on the majority of them. The new photos I take with the 5S don't fill the screen in landscape either.

7. groovyf thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I think I sussed it!
    If you zoom into the photo, then zoom out again beyond its limits it snaps back to the original dimensions.
    (Double-tap again and it'll fill the screen).

8. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

You, good sir, are a genius!