Photo's Are Geotagged.... Now What?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coryetzkorn, Jul 12, 2008.

1. coryetzkorn macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

I totally understand the purpose of geotagging photos, but how do you actually put the "geotags" to good use? Is there a way to view the images based upon location in Google Maps? Is there a separate app (iPhone or computer) that has this functionality? Anyone want to share unique uses/ applications for this new feature?

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Maybe they put the information in the EXIF data? I havn't taken a peak at any EXIF data from phones with the 2.0 software.

3. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Echoing the same question here. Google, iPhoto, and kicking around the iPhone didn't yield too much...

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

million dollar question right here.

does flickr pop up a map showing the locations of where u took pics?

5. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I tried uploading a pic and looked for the geotag info. All I could find was the co-ordinates, but not any sort of link or anything to view it on a map. I could add it to a map manually; however, it defeats the purpose.

Anybody know how to get it to work?

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

7. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

8. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

The only app I found that uses this so far (where you can take a photo with your iPhone 3G, upload it and view it on a map along with other people's photos based on location) is SnapMyLife app at the App store. About to try it out myself since it's free.

Edit: looks like AirMe is another one.

9. omni macrumors 6502

Under the photography category there is an app called AirMe. Just noticed it - haven't tried it yet. No reviews yet but it's free. I'll try it later

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I was thinking the same thing! I was trying to see if I could view the location information, because I think that's a cool feature just to fiddle with and just simply look at. I wonder why they didn't make it more accessible? I have not found an App that successfully utilizes this feature quite yet...

11. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

i was really hoping flickr would do it automatically. maybe they'll make a nice free app to do so.

12. coryetzkorn thread starter macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

I'll have to check out AirMe and SnapMyLife. I'm starting to suspect that this may be for iPhone '09 or a forthcoming app from Apple. There's just gotta be a good reason they included this feature. You'd think they'd add copy/paste before goetagging.... geeezz.

Honestly, I don't see this feature being that useful unless you travel a lot. It's kinda like iPint: pointless, but great for showing off.

13. psingh01 macrumors 65816

When you go to google maps you can select Photos from the "More" button. That shows little icons of photos over the location where they were taken. They are hosted by http://www.panoramio.com/ (a google company apparently)

14. coryetzkorn thread starter macrumors regular

coryetzkorn

On the iPhone or on the desktop version of Google maps? I didn't see a "more" button in the iPhone app.

15. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I opened an account to that site and uploaded a geotagged photo I just took with the iPhone 3G, unfortunately it didn't recognize the geotagging and I still had to "Place the photo" on the map manually on the panoramio site itself.

Also, there's an app in the app store called NearPics that let's you view the panoramio mapped photos on your iPhone, but unfortunately doesn't let you upload geotagged photos directly from your iPhone to panoramio. This does seem like a pretty glaring omission from all of these companies making these photo apps; especially surprising that Google hasn't made one since they own panoramio (though who knows, maybe they are working on one?)

16. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

I tried the SnapMyLife app that I had mention earlier... terrible! Looks and acts like a webapp (complete with a banner ad for a Monopoly game) and wouldn't let me upload a photo except via email and the email address it gives is ridiculous. I created an account with my user name, genshi and it automatically creates a random upload email address, in my case something like byyduujkt@snapmylife.com instead of myusername@snapmylife.com

On top of this, I was never able to actually upload at all... it is the only app thus far that has completely crashed my new iPhone 3G. I wasn't able to restart or turn off the phone for a good 30 minutes (just stuck on the Apple logo, not even a spinning wheel) and I was about to go back to the Apple Store to exchange it when it finally rebooted itself!

AVOID SnapMyLife!!!

17. dolbinau macrumors member

Can anyone confirm geotagging actually works? It just won't work on my iPhone.

18. Aquatic macrumors newbie

Flickr does display on map automatically, but...

Flickr does display geotagged photos on the map, automatically. There's no need to do anything special to the photo.

UNFORTUNATELY, someone got the lateral coordinates incorrect and placed my California photo in the Yellow Sea (China). It's the exact negative (from the Zero line). Now I have to figure out who messed up, but I'm betting on iPhone.

19. Aquatic macrumors newbie

Panaramio is not a dumping ground for photos, so an upload feature wouldn't be appropriate. You can upload at home, after you've carefully selected and edited your photo. It will appear in Panaramio if it meets the criteria. Review can take quite a while, so please don't burden it with junk.

You don't have to be a super-pro to post to Panaramio. Just stay in the guidelines, they're there to keep the site functional.

20. almostaskater62 macrumors regular

all the pictures i've taken put me in china...weird

21. alee macrumors 6502

It works.

If you email the photo, it won't -- because the image gets scaled down, all the EXIF metadata gets stripped out.

If you connect your iPhone to your computer and you take the photos straight out of the DCIM folder, the EXIF data is intact, and will display on Google Maps just fine.

Not sure how some of the photo apps from the App Store work though.

22. Scott56R Guest

Scott56R

Take a photo with the iPhone.

Open this picture in 'Preview'

If you then select 'Inspector' from the menu it shows the long & lat of where the image was taken. I think there is a option there to 'Map it'

All from memory on my Windows box at work

23. Beklim macrumors newbie

There's a bug in the geotagging. You end up in the wrong hemosphere. Found it out when trying to locate and send a location to my father. Later read this article by ars techinca: http://arstechnica.com/journals/app...that-iphone-or-you-might-end-up-in-kazakhstan

My girlfriend apparently has seahorses:

[​IMG]
    Trodde inte hon hade sjöhästar... alltid tyckt de verkar gå på land.

Btw, using Picasa and then uploading to Picasa webalbum uses geotagging. You can also use Picasa with Google Earth. I just want the ability to send a location by e-mail and SMS.

24. junebug1 macrumors regular

Okay so I've never done geotagging before but am going on vacation tomorrow and wanted to be able to pull up a map when I get home that shows my whole trip across the country with photos. Problem is I can't even figure out how this works. I take a picture and my phone asks if it can use location services I say allow and take the picture but I can't find ANY of the geotag information anywhere on the phone, the computer in iPhoto or Preview or if I upload to Picasa. How does this work exactly? Thanks so much for your time.

25. Aquatic macrumors newbie

iPhone Mail makes geotagging less useful

While on the road, the simplest way to post a photo to a blog or other website (like Flickr) is via email. Stripping out the EXIF data means my friends/family back home can't follow my trail!!!

What about pros who want to submit photos, send to their office or whatever. Having the location data could be invaluable.

I was hoping to use my iPhone on sea lion rescues. The coordinator loves to receive photos from the field to help determine whether to bring the animal in. Location data would be super for those hard to describle locations!

Apple, I'm VERY disappointed. I hope that Flickr comes out with something. But don't hold your breath. Flickr is Yahoo!