Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
You cannot add photos, move them or create new albums. :(

But: It's a beta, so we can hope Apple adds new features from time to time.

RosOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
It's not like it's anything new to them. You can upload to Drive so this must be a decision they made. It's really ****** you can't upload to Photos.

Already downloaded all my photos from Google to upload them to iCloud, so disappointed I can't :(

Last edited:

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
So with iOS 8.1 everyone will be able to enable iCloud photos library via iPhone and iPad? Because now I have that option but can't enable, keeps telling that they are adding users daily.

RosOne

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
So with iOS 8.1 everyone will be able to enable iCloud photos library via iPhone and iPad? Because now I have that option but can't enable, keeps telling that they are adding users daily.

Yes, with 8.1 everyone should be able to enable it.

Dirtyharrydev

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
I have downloaded every pic and then uploaded to my iCloud Drive to bee prepared for the time when Photo did get activated on iCloud.

I do really hope that I can simply change location on iCloud Drive so I can send the photos to the Photo application @ iCloud.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I really don't understand why they don't store the photos in a folder in iCloud Drive?

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Yes this is frustrating. There is no way to do a mass download for use for other applications. You have to do one by one. Perhaps there will be third party apps that can connect and do this for you?

Dirtyharrydev

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
I did find a work-a-round, I did AirDrop all of my photos from my iMac to my iPhone, Vola!
Every photo is on the iCloud Photo Library, perfect before everyone else that 'll start upload it tomorrow and the servers 'll get pain-in-the-as slow.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
I did find a work-a-round, I did AirDrop all of my photos from my iMac to my iPhone, Vola!
Every photo is on the iCloud Photo Library, perfect before everyone else that 'll start upload it tomorrow and the servers 'll get pain-in-the-as slow.

By the way, there will be no albums category? or all photos in one place? or we will be able to make albums via photos albums of iCloud photo library? Don't understand well about that new iCloud photo library.
And talking about photostream, so no point of enabling it when photos will be synced through all iDevices and the website?

Dirtyharrydev

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
By the way, there will be no albums category? or all photos in one place? or we will be able to make albums via photos albums of iCloud photo library? Don't understand well about that new iCloud photo library.
And talking about photostream, so no point of enabling it when photos will be synced through all iDevices and the website?

You can make albums etc. in your iOS device and it 'll get synced with iCloud.

I think it's nice, I guess it 'll get better when Photo.app get's released for Mac.
And tomorrow we 'll see some more function at iCloud.com Photo app I hope.

For now, you need to do all changes on your iOS devices.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
You can make albums etc. in your iOS device and it 'll get synced with iCloud.

I think it's nice, I guess it 'll get better when Photo.app get's released for Mac.
And tomorrow we 'll see some more function at iCloud.com Photo app I hope.

For now, you need to do all changes on your iOS devices.

johny979

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2014
Spain
I try activate in iphone icloud photo library beta but I can´t
Message appears Not available yet

Maybe is because I´m in 8.0.2?
Only can activate with 8.1?

I´m in Spain

Dirtyharrydev

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
iCloud photo Library 'll get activated with iOS 8.1 that 'll get realsed tomorrow for the public.

That's why you can't use it.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
iCloud photo Library 'll get activated with iOS 8.1 that 'll get realsed tomorrow for the public.

That's why you can't use it.

By the way, when you use seach in iCloud photo library, do photos names should be renamed to get better results? Because my photos is named as IMG_0013 and etc. If i will rename it to "birthdaycake" so at search it should be found? :) thanks. Sorry for silly questions, preparing for tommorow my library.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I chickened out when it said make and use a back up whilst using iCloud beta. Too much like headache. I just want it to work. I pay the apple premium so I don't have to think. They think for me. Hope you guys beta test the heck out of it :)

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
OK, then what is the photo's folder for in icloud drive? I figured it was for this. I have had a folder labeled as photos in icloud drive since the beta appeared and I added a photo then. I don't have any option to enable icloud photo library yet, presumably tomorrow.

Dirtyharrydev

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
OK, then what is the photo's folder for in icloud drive? I figured it was for this. I have had a folder labeled as photos in icloud drive since the beta appeared and I added a photo then. I don't have any option to enable icloud photo library yet, presumably tomorrow.

Your correct, they used to have a Photo folder at iCloud Drive, but for me for a example it's gone.
No folder, I do access the Photo's trough beta.icloud.com

Sadly I hope they fix the following issues, if they hav'nt fixed it tomorrow after public release of 8.1 'll go back to dropbox.

1. You can't delete a picture from your phone without deleting it on iCloud.
As I only have 16GB iPhone 5s I did purchase 20GB of space at iCloud to keep all of my photo's there without needing to use my 16GB on the phone.

2. It seems that you can't "sync" it from iPhone -> iCloud Photo Library -> iPad.

It just works from one device to iCloud Photo Library and then it merge there and every picture are there, it don't sync trough devices for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.