Photos data source for Siri watch face

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by GC251114, Sep 21, 2017.

1. GC251114 macrumors 6502

Good evening.

Now after a couple of days I’m starting to enjoy & see the usefulness of the Siri watchface. Now I’ve gone back & forth with which data sources I’d like the watchface to show.

Calendar , reminders , weather & possibly sunset/Sunrise I can see merit for. News I’ve turned off , however can understand why some like breaking news on their wrist.

The one I’m fairly perplexed about though is the photos data source. When switched on , it seems to just show a banner style photo from your photo roll. When pressed it opens up a selection of about 6 photos , all from a certain memory. Now these seem to be random. Yesterday I had holiday from 2 years ago , today was last years New Years Eve.

Now unless I’m missing something , what is the point or purpose of this on the Siri face ?

Cheers

2. tatsuki macrumors member

tatsuki

I really really like the new Siri watch face as well! As far as the photos go I guess it's just a reminder/nostalgia of your photos so maybe you look at them and remember what you did that day, not useful in a practical sense but nice in a sentimental way.

3. GC251114 thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely & that makes perfect sense. My only thought was just to remind you of that occasion. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

Tbf , todays did remind me of what a great party NYE was & my headache the following morning !

Cheers

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

While I am not sure what exactly Apple intended for the Photo's in the Siri Watch face. You can determine / limit what photos are available for display.

Apple Watch stores photos from a single synced photo album on your iPhone.

Choose the album to store on Apple Watch. Open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, tap My Watch, go to Photos > Synced Album, then choose the album. To create a new album for Apple Watch photos, use the Photos app on iPhone.

Dave

5. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

I don’t think this is the case. I only have 1 album containing 2 photos (for Watch faces) stored on my Watch, but I’ve seen photos that were from albums on my iPhone only. I’ve turned off Photos as a Data Source - reminded me of an old Windows screensaver :(

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Actually that is the exact case. Photos from the iPhone album of your choice are stored on Apple Watch, and appear in the Photos app on Apple Watch. When you first get Apple Watch, it’s set to use your Favorites album—photos you tagged as favorites—but you can change the album it uses. And, you can show a photo on your watch face.

Go the Watch App on you iPhone and see what is set and how it works. The instructions I posted are from the GM Watch Instruction materials that we used for our final testing.

Dave

7. mossyboy macrumors newbie

mossyboy

Hi

I seem to be having the same thing happen with mine. It is picking 6 photos from some random memory (it’s been the same memory and 6 photos since I bought the watch 24 hours ago) even though I have set the photos to my favourites album (this works fine when I use the photo’s watch face)

Maybe Siri wants the choice on which photos it shows!

8. dogz macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    I started looking into this when it displayed a picture of my friend that I was with last night on my watch face. I had my watch on, but my phone was not with me but she had her phone with her. It displayed a picture of her from our vacation together last February. I thought I must have marked the photo a Fav - but checked this a.m. and no. So I'm wondering if Siri displayed this up knowing we were together? It is likely tagged in Photos with her name either from Face Book or Facial recognition. Found this post in my search for why that photo appeared...I have 6 photos of trips over time to that location.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    I just checked my synced Album under my watch and it says Favorites...and those photos are not in there.

9. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

The photos used in the Siri face come from the Memories album on your phone (Photos App then the second tab in - Memories)

10. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Indeed, not from any photos stored on your Watch.

11. dogz macrumors newbie

Ok- that makes sense then. I just turned the photo option off.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Mine is definitely pulling from my Favorites. Love the Siri face as well.

13. FNG macrumors newbie

FNG

Ugh. Can I not use favorites?!? My random memories are mostly work screen shots!

14. Zxxv macrumors 68040

mines coming from memories. definitely not favourites as I haven't favourited any of these photos and ive check the iPhone photos what album to sink and it says favourites but it aint that showing.

15. thinkofgod macrumors newbie

thinkofgod

Just spent 30min on phone with Apple who couldn't suggest any way to control photos added to memories album - wish they wud just allow us to specify feeder folder