Photos - Deleted Images / Videos

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AFPoster, Oct 17, 2014.

1. AFPoster macrumors 68000

I've never seen this feature before in iOS 7, so I assume this is new to iOS 8.

When you delete Photos / Videos, they are then stored in an Album titled "Recently Deleted". Specifying that Photos and Videos show the days prior to them being fully deleted.

It takes 30 days to fully delete. My question is, do these still get uploaded to the cloud, how do you turn this off, and what's the real functionality of this.

Thanks

2. r-m macrumors 6502a

I don't think they're uploaded as a photostream upload. I can't speak for iCloud Photo Library.
    They do get backed up on both iCloud backup or iTunes backup, so if you restored from backup, the recently deleted photos and videos would still be in that "folder".

I haven't found a way to turn it off, but I wouldn't want to personally. It's handy having it there, if I accidentally delete a photo as part of a multi-selection delete.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the real functionality is for those times your deleting pictures and you say "oh crap, I got too trigger happy and tapped one too many pictures"

I dont use icloud so I cant answer the other question

4. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Yes, they get uploaded to iCloud Photo Library.
    And it's kinda weird how it works:
    Let's say you took a few photos and videos on the road.
    You already delete some of them before you come home.
    Once you're home, and the Library sync begins, it looks like the photos and videos show up on other devices just like you took them. Once they are all uploaded, the ones that you already deleted will disappear.

I think the main reason why they implemented the "deleted folder" is because of how iCloud Photo Library works. You delete a photo from the Phone, it's deleted everywhere.
    And if you look how many people on here ask this question and are unclear about how it works, it's good that they implemented this "feature". At least you can get your photos back (for 30 days anyways).

5. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 68000

Great breakdown. Out of curiosity, I haven't synced my MBP yet via Photostream, but if I did, wouldn't my Deleted Images / Videos transfer from device to device until the time runs out.

I also thought videos didn't backup to the PhotoStream on the cloud and iPhoto, so if they do now, that's awesome!

6. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

I'm only talking iCloude Photo Library here. PhotoStream is totally separate and different.
    Deleted images don't sync via PhotoStream. Nor do videos.

The only way to get photos synced to your Mac right now is PhotoStream.
    Come Monday, you'll be able to use www.icloud.com/#photos to acces your iCloud Photo Library on your Mac, but we're not talking "syncing" here. Just access.

7. pbasmadj macrumors 6502

Annoying feature, wish I could turn it off. I don't delete photos I don't want to delete , so I don't have this problem. If I delete a photo, It is because I wanted to delete it. Now I just have to do it twice thanks to others' stupidity.

8. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Agreed. If it wasn't for the syncing, you could just forget about it, and after 30 days they would be gone anyways. But it'll still eat up your storage for that long.

Maybe making the time they are saved user adjustable would be a good compromise.

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You can still delete them all with 2 presses. Just hit edit and then delete all.