Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Ok have a small problem. Went to jailbreak wife's phone today using Spirit. All seemed well and good until we discovered all of the pics on her phone are gone. I did hook this phone up to a new computer for Itunes use during the jailbreak process. I would have backed up the phone but other than the pics there really isn't much on the phone that we cared about. It is only a month old. I also didn't think Itunes would erase pics in a sync process.

Anyone know what could have happened during the process or how I can get these pics back? All other data is fine except pics. There was a video of my son that was important to us, other than that, it's not a heart attack moment.

Thanks for your help.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
if you didn't make a backup via iTunes, you might be SOL. happened to me too, though I think I might have a backup somewhere. did you perhaps email the video of your son to anyone?

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
if you didn't make a backup via iTunes, you might be SOL. happened to me too, though I think I might have a backup somewhere. did you perhaps email the video of your son to anyone?

No... I wish I had. :( I don't understand why all her application data and well, everything is still on the phone, just pics are gone. I checked in Itunes and there is nothign selected to sync for photos.

fullmanfullninj

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
No... I wish I had. :( I don't understand why all her application data and well, everything is still on the phone, just pics are gone. I checked in Itunes and there is nothign selected to sync for photos.

This should be on the site...
Spirit does delete all photos for some reason. I don't know why, but it does it.
This is why you should backup I guess...

(lucky for blackra1n 3GS users who have to restore fresh, so ideally they would backup first)

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
This should be on the site...
Spirit does delete all photos for some reason. I don't know why, but it does it.
This is why you should backup I guess...

(lucky for blackra1n 3GS users who have to restore fresh, so ideally they would backup first)

I keep hoping this is just a bug and it can be fixed.... Why would a jailbreak app delete pics... damn.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
right click the iphone in itune and hit "restore from backup" and try one of those. if you're lucky, your picture and video will come back. back them up somewhere safe.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
right click the iphone in itune and hit "restore from backup" and try one of those. if you're lucky, your picture and video will come back. back them up somewhere safe.

New computer new Itunes and no backups on this computer. Have another computer with backups from a month ago... : ( Never thought this would delete the pics.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
so the fix is to restore from backup? wont that knock out the JB? is it going to be a cycle of JB and lose pics?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Yep, my photos are gone.
I have a pretty recent backup.
Can I just restore my pictures and nothing else?

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Yep, my photos are gone.
I have a pretty recent backup.
Can I just restore my pictures and nothing else?

There is software out there for recovering files from backups but I have never used them.

I think this jailbreak can go down as the worst jailbreak ever.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Why don't you have your photos set to sync via the photo's tab ? That's just plain risky.

Well for me personally, I did on my old computer. The old computer is not hooked up. So I figured just to jailbreak I would install Itunes real quick on the new computer. Never thought it would delete pics. This is a weird jailbreak.

If I had lost everything, I would be upset but my blame. After reading that the jailbreak deletes pics, I blame the jailbreak rather than myself.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Well for me personally, I did on my old computer. The old computer is not hooked up. So I figured just to jailbreak I would install Itunes real quick on the new computer. Never thought it would delete pics. This is a weird jailbreak.

If I had lost everything, I would be upset but my blame. After reading that the jailbreak deletes pics, I blame the jailbreak rather than myself.

It's not your fault, it's what Spirit does as many are complaining.
What I was wondering is why posters aren't using the photo tab in iTunes sync to save their pictures.
Seems silly not to back them up to a computer using iTunes (not necessarily the computer you ran Spirit on)

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
It's not your fault, it's what Spirit does as many are complaining.
What I was wondering is why posters aren't using the photo tab in iTunes sync to save their pictures.
Seems silly not to back them up to a computer using iTunes (not necessarily the computer you ran Spirit on)

I am sure I am wrong on this, but I thought the sync went one way with pics. I think you would have to transfer the pics from the iPhone to a folder and then make that folder the one that gets synced.... But whenever you take new pics you would have to update that folder. Again I am probably wrong on that, but it was something I was reading last night when researching this problem.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I am sure I am wrong on this, but I thought the sync went one way with pics. I think you would have to transfer the pics from the iPhone to a folder and then make that folder the one that gets synced.... But whenever you take new pics you would have to update that folder. Again I am probably wrong on that, but it was something I was reading last night when researching this problem.

I use a Mac and iPhoto. Takes every picture and video off the camera roll and allows me to put them into albums which are synced back to my iPhone.

Definitely 2 way for me.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Got this from Spiritjb comments

Should work if you can find the last backup you did before you ran Spirit

This seems to work for me for people who lost their camera roll. Of course you made a backup right before running spirit. So in iTunes, right-click your ipad/iphone and click "restore from backup" and choose the backup you made before running spirit. This only restores files on your device and not the full firmware. You should get your camera roll back. Cydia still works for me after doing this so I think it should be fine to do.

Other comments say this restored their pictures that were on when they last synced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.