Photos Export Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Deadeyeshark, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

I've taken this photo on an iPhone 7 plus, then picked it up through Photos on my iMac (iOS 12.1 and MacOS 10.14.1). If I move a photo from the Photo's App to the mac desktop desktop it converts the file from HEIC to JPEG, but I get a weird pixilation at the bottom of the photo, anyone come across this? If so, have you found a solution?

I've tried both dragging onto the desktop and also exporting from within Photo's and produces the same results.

Attached Files:

2. SoggyCheese macrumors 6502

SoggyCheese

3. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Tried TIFF, PNG and JPEG, all produce the same results.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Try mailing yourself the HEIC image, then save it to a folder on your Mac. Open in Preview and how does it look? Zoom in to the problem area. How does it look?

Save as a different format in Preview. How does the new format look?

Open in a non-Apple image program. How does it look? Save in different format. How does it look?

The problem might be corrupted data in the original image, or it might be a problem with whatever convertor is being used, or a combination of both.

If the problem is image corruption, it might be happening in the Photos transfer, so emailing yourself the image makes it go through a completely different transfer route.

5. Deadeyeshark thread starter macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Thanks for the response.

Dragging onto the desktop emailing and exporting produces the same result. It’s not just the one photograph - it’s quite a few.

I have switched back to JPEG on my iPhone 7 Plus and that seems to have solved the issue. Dragging the corrupted photos into a HEIC - JPEG converter on the Mac also fixes the photos. Not an ideal situation, but I would think it’s either an issue with iOS or my phone.