Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Can someone try to replicate this problem to see if it's a problem with Image Capture, or my iPhone... (Or both?)

I don't use iPhoto, losing control of your photo files themselves irritates me and I much prefer just having a directory of photos which I can easily offload and backup things that are n days old as oppose to carrying around every photo I've ever taken on my laptop with me.

When I grab photos off my iPhone I use Image Capture. If I have it set to just grab the files themselves off of the phone, everything works fine. If I go in to the options and check "Delete items from camera after downloading" the photos get transferred to my PC like this:

http://a-13.net/junk/iphone_pics.zip (3.00mb, I know some are blurry I just fired off a half dozen photos just to use as an example.)

Look at IMG_0283.JPG, it comes through corrupt. Also, deleting photos from the iPhone takes about two seconds a piece as it imports them.

iPhoto works fine, just imported 30 photos and deleted them without any pause in between photos or anything else.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Hmm, trying this now. You've had this exact same problem before though?

I had a problem where iphoto and image capture "saw" 26 images on my iphone despite me deleting them all.

something corrupted some of the images and that corruption stayed in the temp files both apps make.

I think restartingcleaned out the temp files because It solved my problem.

My phone went back to 1 image(test image).

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Welp, same problem even after rebooting.

Using Image Capture to copy photos WITHOUT deleting: All 20 photos get transferred perfectly.
Using Image Capture to copy photos WITH the delete box checked: First 8 come out OK, everything after that is corrupt.
Using iPhoto to transfer photos: All 20 photos get transferred perfectly regardless of whether or not the originals are deleted.

I don't get it, I've even tried different cables, used a different USB port... I have no idea what could be causing this. I'm going to try using Windows' camera import thingamajig and see if I can replicate it there.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
look (via terminal) in "private/tmp"

and see if any of the folders contain the same name as your images...

maybe the restart did not clear the cache.

also do this:

uncheck all your "photo" syncs (in the itunes tab) and sync to erase all the photos.

Then check your "photo" syncs and see if that clears up the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.