Photo's from mac to iPad/iPhone in original resolution

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pulp88, Dec 29, 2013.

1. pulp88 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if somebody has figured out a way to transfer photos from the mac (iPhoto) to the native photo's app on the iPad without iTunes compressing or changing them.

I want to go mac free completely but first want my photo collection on my iPad in the original form. Another problem I then find is that iCloud doesn't make a backup of photos on my iPad transferred from iPhoto/mac.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Doesn't iPhoto have a beaming feature in which you can beam pictures to another device?

3. pulp88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I cant find this option in iphoto for mac. Only in the ios version.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I use Adobe Revel for my photos. I am completely PC/Mac free. It retains all original photos in the cloud. You also get unlimited storage. It is free for 50 uploads a month and 6.99 a month if you do more than that.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Photostream allows you to upload pictures from your MAC to an iOS device.

But I'm curious... What happens when you lose or erase your iPad? I assume you are going to "put" them somewhere else or do an iTunes backup?

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm not sure if Photostream retains original resolution or not.

7. pulp88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that's indeed one way of dealing with it. Though I prefer to do it the apple way with only the native apps. And I'm already paying for extra icloud storage.

8. pulp88 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem with "my photostream" is that it only shows photos from the past 30 days on your iPad. Also it reduces the resolution optimized for iPad. On the mac its in original resolution and more photos.

In the end I think its just waiting for apple to update icloud so that you can keep all your photo's currently in your mac/iPhone/iPad photo library in the cloud. Just like your iwork files and itunes match. This way it doesnt necessary take any storage on your iPad/and you always have acces to your photo's. The current implementation of photo stream is a bit cumbersome anyway with deleting photos on the iPad while they stay in the iPhone library.

9. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Right, we need iPhoto library syncing

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

If you have photostream on your Mac or PC, the original resolution is saved there.