Photos in Photostream?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kat.hayes, Nov 9, 2015.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I have Photostream on my 6S+ turned on and I have noticed that some photos seem to appear in my Photostream, while others do not.

1. Is there a reason some photos are in a Photostream while others are not?
    2. If I delete the photo from my phone, how do I make sure it does not appear in my Photostream on other devices? Is there a way to make sure it does not?

Thanks.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If Photostream is working correctly all photos should show in the stream. The fact that some don't is the issue. If you do not want some to show either turn the feature off or delete them once they are in the stream.

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried turning it off, though it gave me a warning that by doing it it would delete any of my photos in the photo stream and I was not clear on this so I didn't do it. For clarification, if it deletes anything in the photo stream it is just deleting photos in the cloud and should not touch anything locally stored on my phone, right?

Thanks.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Are you the only one using the photostream? My wife and I share the same iTunes and photostream account. If she deletes a photo out of the photostream it gets deleted in mine as well and vise versa.

5. cynics macrumors G3

Photostream is just a method of syncing photos across all your Apple devices into a single unified collection. A photo taken on your iPhone should appear on you Mac and/or iPad and vice versa, the same applies to editing and deleting.

How much time did you give it? Sometimes it's not instant but usually pretty quick.

6. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Based on your responses and some further reading, my understanding of Photostream (is this all correct?):

- it will provide access to any of the photos in the stream on all of my devices
    - the photos will only display for 30 days, and than are removed from the cloud
    - it is only displaying a low res version of the photo on my devices, it is not one that I would want to download and keep to archive
    - I can delete any photo from photo stream from any of my devices, and it should remove it from all of my devices photo stream
    - photo stream is not intended to share with other people

1. I’m using a shared album of some of my favorite photos to access on all of my devices, and to share with others. Based on this, is there any reason to use photo stream?

2. I just want to make sure that if I turn photo stream off on my 6S+ it does not delete photos stored on the device, only those in the cloud that would be removed within 30 days anyways?

Thanks!

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

If your Photostream photos are in your camera roll when you turn this feature off your photos will remain on your phone. The photos in Photostream could very well be removed from the stream. If you're worried, copy the photos from your phone to a PC first as a backup. In the past, people would allow photos into Photostream then delete the photos from their device and later wonder what happened. Photos in the stream would clear based on time or space. The 30 days did not apply strictly in my experience. I have not taken more than 1K photos with my phone in a month so never tested that limit either. I turned Photostream off once iCloud Photo Library was available. In my use, Photostream was a method to take a photo with my phone then on my PC copy that photo to a folder before deleting it. We did not have space in a cloud within the Apple ecosystem to store photos. You either connected with a cable and removed the photos for storage and sharing or you chose Photostream and completed the task wireless. The point of the service was to make it easier to get your photos to other devices to then save the photos for later use. It was not meant as a storage system.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Pretty much, yes to everything you mentioned.

I haven't been paying too much attention to My Photostream, but since I use iCloud Photo Library I turned My Photostream off an all my devices. No pictures were deleted. However I imagine the low res versions would be....but like I said I'm using iCloud Photo Library so all my devices have the original resolution versions.

iCloud Photo Library is a MUCH better solution then My Photostream for me. The only downside is it uses iCloud storage (unlike My Photostream) but I pay Apple 99 cents a month for 50 gb and for me and its convenience that seems reasonable.

None of this seems to fix your original problem however. Did you get that resolved?