Photos issue

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sdilley14, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'm having an issue with the Photos app.

I currently have iCloud Photo Library enabled with the "Optimize" setting enabled.

Everything was working just fine. It would store a low-res copy on my phone and keep the high res copy in the cloud. When I would try to open a photo on my phone it would give me a little white spinning wheel which told me it was downloading the full copy from the cloud. The image would go from low-res and snap into high-res when it was fully downloaded.

However, now I'm having an issue where it goes through that same routine but with some images it still loads the low-res version. It seems to be about 50/50...half it will load the high-res version, half it goes through the loading process but still displays the low-res version.

This is happening when I try to load images from Albums > All Photos (which is the newly reinstated Camera Roll I believe). However, if I go to Shared > All Photos and try to load an image from there, it loads the high-res image every time. I've tried it using the same images with both methods and it stays consistent - low-res image loads from the Camera Roll, high-res image loads when I'm loading from Shared > All Photos.

Anyone have any insight on why it is working like this? I can't really find any rhyme or reason to it. It used to work 100% of the time loading high-res photos from the Camera Roll. Now it's about 50% of the time, and the same images that won't load high-res through Camera Roll will load just fine going through the Shared folder. :/

FWIW I went into settings and disabled iCloud Photo Library and deleted all of the stored "optimized" images then re-enabled iCloud Photo Library, re-loaded all of the optimized images, and the same thing continued to happen.

2. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I went into Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > Photos (with the IPL sub-heading), and it says "You have 438 photos stored in iCloud. Your photos are using 85.5 MB."

Then when I go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage > Photos & Camera, it shows me as using 221 MB, 176 MB being used in the Photo Library and 44.2 MB being using in Shared Photo Stream (I was using Photo Stream as a means of cloud photo storage before IPL became available).

To me, if optimization is meant to store low-res photos locally and high-res photos in the cloud, these storage useage numbers should be switched around. Since they aren't, it makes me thing that the images being stored in the cloud are actually low-res copies and that's why they are downloading at low-res quality. And the excess storage being used locally is accounting for photos I've taken recently that are being stored at full-res and haven't been synced to iCloud yet. Just my theory.

EDIT: I just went to iCloud from my computer and accessed the IPL. I clicked on one of the images that I had been trying to load on my phone but was coming up low-res. When I open it in my web browser it is displaying a much smaller version than my original photo. Which leads me to believe that some (or maybe all) of my high-res photos that were stored in iCloud somehow got swapped with the low res-versions and that's why they're not displaying properly on either my phone or in my web broweser. Ughghgh.

3. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

I checked it again today. I went into my iCloud account via web browser, opened up iCloud Photo Library, and I opened up a few of the photos - and I'm still getting compressed, small, low-res versions. It isn't happening on all of the photos though - it's sporadic. Half of the images open up just fine and display the full size, high-res photos, and half of them are displaying smaller sized, low-res versions. I've noticed a stranged green line going down the right side of some of the images too. What the heck?