Photos Lacks View Control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jasnw, Apr 8, 2015.

1. jasnw macrumors 6502

Sign me up as singularly unimpressed with Photos. The biggest issue for me so far is the complete lack of control on how photos are organized in the main view panel. Even sad old iPhoto had a Sort menu option that allowed you to vary the sort order of photos. I see a greyed-out item about sort in the View menu which indicates that the photos are sorted by the "date added." Since I add a lot of old photos view scanning, I don't want it sorted by date added but by the date I've put on the photo. However, you can't change this, or if you can it's not obvious how. This is a major missing capability.

Also, the ability to show metadata in a right-side panel is gone. That was useful if you wanted to step through photos in the main panel and see what dates and locations they were for.

And what exactly is the thinking behind how photos are ordered and displayed in the Faces view?

2. party macrumors member

Exactly echoing my sentiments, I plan on importing photos from my old phone but I want them sorted not according to date added (today), but according to the dates actually on the timestamps of the photos! The app knows their timestamps, it just doesn't allow me to sort them accordingly.

I hope to god this is going to change and is merely a missing function, not the intention of Photos app all along.

3. Variant macrumors 6502

Variant

I too am very unimpressed with Photos. It seems to lack much of the usability features of iPhoto. No Events, no Places, and it makes my fans run full blast on my Air.

4. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

The events thing is the biggest issue for me and why I'm avoiding the update. I've grown pretty dependent on using events to organize my huge library and it sounds like their implementation in the Photos app leaves a lot to be desired.

5. a2rael macrumors newbie

a2rael

Hidden Photos are showing

Soooo. . . wtf apple. upgraded to new Photos and all of my hidden photos are there for everyone to see (NSFW, lol). And there's no way I can see to hide them again. HELP!

6. deviant macrumors 65816

that's for the first time while copying/syncing. the fans stop after that

7. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

iPhoto Events is still there in the sidebar of Photos, but I'm not sure the Events folder will be kept updated with "events" added after the update ...also iPhotos is still there and usable alongside Photos.

8. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

Oh jeeze. This is not cool at all. Hope someone finds a fix soon.

9. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

right click selected photos and click "Hide # Photo"

10. smizzle macrumors regular

smizzle

That doesn't really help because photos that should be hidden only have the option to unhide them even though they are still visible. I think this is a bug because they don't show up in the normal "moments" view, they only show up in albums.

The part that sucks is that any events you import from iPhoto now become albums, and since all photos had to be in an event in iPhoto, all hidden photos are now in albums and therefore visible in album view. I played around with it a little and it seems to me that the only solution is to go through your old events and delete the hidden photos from those albums, and then only view all of your hidden photos together in the hidden photos folder that you can hide/unhide from the top menu. Not a great solution, but it will have to do until Apple comes up with a fix.

11. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

I'm sticking with iPhoto. The lack of events, sorting options, and WORST OF ALL hidden pictures not being hidden are all terrible oversights.

I can't believe it was released like this. Seriously, you can't sort? And hidden photos are showing up everywhere??? Last Import album, events albums, smart albums.... and now you can't have hidden photos in albums at all. They're all lumped together in ONE album called Hidden Photos.

It's a terrible, stupid design. Hopefully they fix this ASAP. Until then, Photos is unusable.

12. rmw49 macrumors newbie

I use Albums first and foremost and I want to keep my hidden photos in the albums, only seeing them when I select show hidden photos. What's the point of having a hidden photos album when all the photos are in plain view in all the albums? Thank God I can still use iPhoto because my family love seeing my photos and I love seeing my hidden photos. but they're not for anyone else.

As an aside, I also want a choice of background colour for the photos view. Personally I hate that white!

13. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

Yea ...

A little more testing and I have to agree, it's definitely lacking.

So does anyone else think we should expect the removed features to reappear in a paid Apple app that replaces Aperture in the near future?

Not everyone needs a heavyweight photo app! So there's now a gap in their medium range photo-editing market that's just begging to be filled with a third party product, and it's not like them to ignore an opportunity for profit.

14. jasnw thread starter macrumors 6502

Quite possible. If I were a developer of an app like Lyn I'd be pouring over comments in threads like this one and making sure my product was going to meet the needs of this newly-abandoned user base.