Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abta1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Paris, France
So after the update of iPhoto to Photos, there are now 2 files, Photos Library and iPhoto Library. Is it ok to delete the file iPhoto Library?

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Just checking....

To clarify, i updated to Photo's from iPhoto when it became available. It is still uploading to iCloud, but all the images show up locally.

When is it safe to delete the old library?

Thanks in advance....

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
To clarify, i updated to Photo's from iPhoto when it became available. It is still uploading to iCloud, but all the images show up locally.

When is it safe to delete the old library?

Thanks in advance....

I backed up my old iPhoto library to en external drive just in case I wanted to go back, but it you are certain all the photos made it in to the Photos library, you can delete the iPhotos library now.

Evren Carven

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2014
I backed up my old iPhoto library to en external drive just in case I wanted to go back, but it you are certain all the photos made it in to the Photos library, you can delete the iPhotos library now.

Yeah, I agree with this opinion. In theory, you can only keep one library for the new Photos app. As Apple say, the new Photos app will import all your iPhoto library without any problem. In my situation, I get all my photos from iPhoto to the new Photos app seamlessly but I have backuped iPhoto library before delete it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.