Photos library corruption in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ZBoater, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ever since I upgraded my iPad to iOS 8 (and on my iPhone 6 Plus) my Photos library becomes corrupted. One moment it's fine, the next I have a duplicate of each folder (I have about 15 folders) and the duplicates have the wrong pictures (like the Cars folder appears twice, but the second version has pictures of another folder).

I'm syncing 17,000 pictures in 15 folders from a MacBook Air using iTunes.

I've restored the iPad twice. The iPhone seems a bit more resilient. When I uncheck the sync Photos in iTunes it seems to delete everything. The iPad is just messed up with an entire copy of the photo database just hanging occupying space. Restoring seems to be the only fix.

Anyone else experiencing odd Photo album behavior like this?

2. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wow, nobody? Must be me then. Heh. I'm afraid to resynch my Photos for fear of corrupting the library again. Guess I better get used to doing a lot of restores. :(

3. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, I think I figured it out, so in case this helps someone...

I had some corruption on my iPad photo database that was being backed up, so restoring from backup was pointless. I used the PhotoTrans app and noticed two albums I created still showed up in the app, but on the iPad I had already deleted them.

Not sure how the corruption happened.

So I setup the iPad as new, and voila! Corruption problem resolved. Along with all my apps and data, but I guess that's what i get.

It would be greate if in the Erase Content and Settings section we had a couple more options to nuke just the Photo area, or the Music area, or the Movie area. It's an all or nothing deal.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

It may be too late now, but I was able to successfully erase just photos using an icloud backup. You can turn backups of individual apps on and off when you back up to icloud, so I simply turned off photos and took a backup, then I wiped the phone and restored the backup that I took with photos turned off. All my other apps and data came back without any photos.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

iCloud has always done a very poor job restoring photos (my experience with numerous restores)

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Photos library corruption in iOS 8

Well, in this case that might be a positive thing;)

I do agree though. I've done a lot of backups and restores over the past few years and photos always make me a bit nervous. That's one reason I'm excited about iCloud photo library. No need to restore photos as part of the device restore anymore.