Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Replaced my iMac with a MBA and kept the entire disk on an external HDD so I have all of my files.

Right now, I have my Photos app pointed to the photos library on the external HDD. I have also selected the option to "Use as System Photo Library" inside of Photos app.

My question - how do I copy over the external library so that it is local and on the MBA HDD?

Thank you!

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Replaced my iMac with a MBA and kept the entire disk on an external HDD so I have all of my files.

Right now, I have my Photos app pointed to the photos library on the external HDD. I have also selected the option to "Use as System Photo Library" inside of Photos app.

My question - how do I copy over the external library so that it is local and on the MBA HDD?

Thank you!
Copy and paste Photos library to your HD, hold option key and open Photos, select library on HD, go to preferences and tell Photos to use as system library.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
MA
Copy and paste Photos library to your HD, hold option key and open Photos, select library on HD, go to preferences and tell Photos to use as system library.
ok - that worked perfectly. not sure what changed, but i was getting an error message prior to that. something about a duplicate library.....

thanks simon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.