Photos Look Different on Other Screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by herbiehancock00, Apr 4, 2008.

1. herbiehancock00 macrumors member

I've been spending countless hours on my new mbp editing hundreds of pictures that I took during my trip. Then the other day I was over at my friend's home showing them the pictures of Flickr on their computer and all the pictures turned out to be too dark and contrasty. Has anyone ran into this problem?

2. ldharnden macrumors newbie

I have run into this problem many times. The problem sounds actually like your monitor is set too "rich," and needs to be calibrated. To make it easy I suggest going to Adobe.com and searching thier knowledge base for help as they are, well the leaders in the Graphic Arts Industry. The basic problem is each monitor and set of eyes that view it are different and won't reproduce images the same without some standardzation. Heck the Printing industry spends Thousands of dollars on equipment to make this less of a problem, yet it is still there. Good luck with your photo's.

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

The problem is that your Mac is using a 1.8 gamma, while your friend's PC is using a 2.2 or higher.

http://www.bergdesign.com

Download SuperCal and follow the straightforward instructions to calibrate your display. When setting white balance, move 4 steps above "Native". (This will give you a 2.2 gamma.)

At first, you'll think it's too dark and contrasty (like your friend's screen). Your eyes will adjust quickly. Re-edit your photos using this setting, and you'll find that they look the same on your friend's PC afterwards.