Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
In the process of enabling iCloud Photo Library on all my devices (iPhone X/6S/iPad). Those devices went ok, but then I realised I had a whole heap of photos from a trip to Thailand that were taken with an iPhone 5.

So upon turning on the 5 for the first time in years, I spotted the photos, placed them in an album & then turned on iCloud Photo Library (iPL), but then the library disappeared, along with all the photos within it (+ all the photos taken on the 5).

The photos from the trip are backed up on my PC, but I'm wondering why they didn't get uploaded to the iPL?

So I guess I now need to somehow copy the photos from my PC to an IOS device so I can then upload them to the iPL.

Apologies, never used iPL until now, so not that cluey with it...

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
In the process of enabling iCloud Photo Library on all my devices (iPhone X/6S/iPad). Those devices went ok, but then I realised I had a whole heap of photos from a trip to Thailand that were taken with an iPhone 5.

So upon turning on the 5 for the first time in years, I spotted the photos, placed them in an album & then turned on iCloud Photo Library (iPL), but then the library disappeared, along with all the photos within it (+ all the photos taken on the 5).

The photos from the trip are backed up on my PC, but I'm wondering why they didn't get uploaded to the iPL?

So I guess I now need to somehow copy the photos from my PC to an IOS device so I can then upload them to the iPL.

Apologies, never used iPL until now, so not that cluey with it...

Hi Ralfi,

Sorry not an answer I am afraid, just a nod you arent being ignored.

I have no idea. Zero value add comment.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Thanks, kenoh. Nice of you to reply anyway.

I possibly posted this in the wrong forum, but that's ok.

I've since uploaded most of the missing photos (+ all the Thailand photos) to IPL from the PC, & organised my photo albums.

So far, so good.

Reactions: kenoh

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Thanks, kenoh. Nice of you to reply anyway.

I possibly posted this in the wrong forum, but that's ok.

I've since uploaded most of the missing photos (+ all the Thailand photos) to IPL from the PC, & organised my photo albums.

So far, so good.
Sorry you had to go through this, so if you hadn't had your photos backed up they would'v been gone forever in other words. I have the same issue, all my albums are there but suddenly the photos are all gone, nowhere to be found on either my icloud or my device.

Confusing and stable photo management are still a huge problem for Apple, these are peoples lives and memories that are often randomly wiped for no apparent reason (there are thousands of examples of it in Google), even when we have an iCloud backup. It's absolutely ridiculous that they've been unable to address this since the inception of the iPhone. Thankfully, I have Google Photos and that's never given me any issues, without it I would've lost everything.

Reactions: Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.