Photos madness!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by groggy2333, Sep 24, 2014.

1. groggy2333 macrumors regular

So here's the deal. I hoard my photos from the day I got my first iPhone back on '08 so I have about over 5000 photos that have been extracted and saved onto my Mac. When I plugged in my iPhone 6 for the first time it synced the photos into a "Pictures" album from My Mac on my iPhone 6 which is fine. My question is how can I have my iPhone camera take a picture and go directly into that "Pictures" folder instead of "Recently Added"? Or is there an alternative?

2. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

Yeah I had one folder on my iPhone 5S with over 4k pictures, and when I synced my iPhone 6 plus it divided the folder into like 40 different folders.

3. sportello macrumors member

I really, really dislike the new Photos view. I haven't run into any problems with Recently Added, mostly because I don't take a lot of pictures, but the view divided up by date/location is just super awkward and virtually useless. I'd prefer if there were any option to turn off the dividers so it would just turn into a big Camera Roll style page.

4. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know I'm not alone. The photos app is just not user friendly at all. What's more aggravating is that it won't let you move or delete certain folder ARGH.

5. sportello macrumors member

They might make some changes with the release of the new OS X Photos app. That's not due until next year though, so...

6. groggy2333 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was wounding about that. Poo on the Photos app. Ugh.

7. xbpr macrumors member

Are you managing your photos in iPhoto on the Mac or are they just in a folder in the file system? How did you "extract" them to the mac to begin with?

The new pictures you take with the phone will have to be imported from the phone to your computer like you did with the others (imagine your phone as a regular digital camera). Once the photos are on your mac with the others, the next time you sync, the photos will get transferred back to your phone, likely in the "Pictures" album.

Basically, a long way of saying that there isn't a way to directly do it without synchronizing to the computer.

Now, I'm not sure how the cloud stuff factors in, I do everything locally through iPhoto.

The iOS 8 Photos app is confusing because it blends pictures you have taken with the phone alongside ones that reside on your phone already Under the "Photos" category. The "Camera Roll" used to be the place to differentiate between the two (like an SD card in a digital camera"

And albums are basically like playlists in iTunes. Your photos aren't duplicated into to albums, they are just collected there. The "Recently Added" album is akin to a smart playlist in iTunes.

Not sure if anything here helps, but this is what I sorted out so far.

8. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

9. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

10. Jukoer3426 macrumors member

I totally agree with this. The new photos app is worthless to me. I've tried managing my photos into albums and doing the same thing as you but couldn't win with that. It's very annoying now being able to manipulate it the way you want it to. Easiest way I found is to just delete what I don't need and place all the pictures into a seperate folder. Can be tedious with 5000+ pictures though. Boo on Apple for creating a stinky Photos app.

11. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've been using My Roll as well, it's pretty good if you want an old school album view.

12. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

Create and Title an Event and add the photos your want in that Event in iPhoto and then only Sync that Event to your iPhone 6. If you have Automatic Sync turned On then all you need to do is add any future new photos to that same Event Folder and it will Automatically Sync it to your iPhone 6.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have always wanted to be able to rename my photos that I have taken.

Still no way to do this in the phone?