Photos Missing After Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shanepj13, Aug 25, 2013.

1. shanepj13 macrumors newbie

So.
    My iPhone 5 has been pretty good to me over the last year or so, but then the screen shattered. It still worked so dealt with it but I decided to fix it, and well everything went perfectly, I have a beautiful screen now.
    But, one issue.
    All 1300 of my photos and videos are gone. Missing. Nothing. Nada. They're my life, my connection to all of my memories.
    The weirdest part of all of this is that within the Usage part of the settings, it's still telling me that 13.7 GB of my storage is taken up by photos and camera.

Can anybody tell me how to get them to show back up please, they cant be gone. they CANT be. :(

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

If you had iCloud storage turned on, they should be in your photo stream. Are you signed in?

3. shanepj13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately because i had so many photos and videos, i didnt use it because i didnt want to pay for the additional storage.

whats weird is, like i said it tells me the photos take up so much space, but now that i plug it into itunes its showing that i dont have anything saved as photos, but i have ALOT saved as "other".

4. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Is it jailbroken? I was thinking that maybe you could use one of those third-party apps like ifun browser to look around your iPhone to see of you can find the missing photos.

5. shanepj13 thread starter macrumors newbie

It is not at the moment :/

6. lolkthxbai, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Are you using a Mac? If you are, there is software available to extract the photos from your iPhone Backup. Do a full backup through iTunes. Find the location of your backup and bring it the the desktop so it's easier to work with. There's an App on the Mac AppStore called "iPhone/iPod Touch Backup Extractor". Use that to extract your media if it's actually still there.

The reason it's not showing up in Photos could be a corrupted system file or setting. It's possibly related to when you got your screen fixed if you let a third-party do it. If you would have gone to Apple they most likely would've swapped it out. But if you went with a third-party, your warranty is probably void now.

7. shanepj13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did it myself, not really worrying about it because i didnt think that the screen had anything to do with the phones memory...
    But im running on a PC with windows 8 so not on a mac.

8. Judith123 macrumors member

Why not choose a data recovery program to recover your files back? You can try to find a good data recovery app for your iphone. Or, you can take out the memory card, and then connect it to your windows 8 operating system. The same as before, use data recovery software to scan it and recover. There are some free programs, I'm sure you will find one suitable for you. :)