Photos missing from Camera Roll

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by titans1127, Apr 14, 2015.

1. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I disabled iCloud Photo Library the other day due it just not being for me. I noticed after disabling it that my pictures were still doubled. Turns out the originals were still there along with a low res copy as well. So I pretty much spent 2 days deleting 2000+ pics one by one. Last night shortly after I finished, I looking everything over and I see recent pictures missing from the camera roll that I know I didn't delete. The weird thing is if I'm in the photos app and switch from the albums tab to the photos tab, the pictures are all there. But they won't show in the camera roll folder. Certain apps that allow for picture uploading (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) won't show all my pictures but some do.

Anyone else come across this bug at all? I'm pretty much ready to backup my phone and wipe it and see what happens when I restore. I forgot to do a backup through iTunes before updating to 8.3 or else I would have just done that.

2. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

When IPL is turned on than icloud/iTunes will not backup photos. If you turn off IPL but are somehow missing pictures and than back up you still won't get them back after a wipe since the backup was new. The only solution would be a iCloud/ Tunes backup before you first turned on IPL.
    I'm curious why you don't like IPL, I thinks it's awesome and was a feature long overdue mainly due to the big storage gain and the ability to have you entire library on every device and always in sync. It's so good and makes my 16gb iPhone HD very happy :D

3. titans1127 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think my main issue with IPL was trying to integrate my Mac into it which I'm gonna refrain from doing.

Thankfully the pictures aren't gone they just only show up in moments instead of the camera roll as well like usual. I posted about this on reddit and someone else reported the same issue and a wipe and restore didn't do anything. The guy did contact apple and they acknowledged its some kind of bug they have to fix so I'm guessing 8.3.1 will take care of it.

For now I'm gonna use a combo of IPL and Onedrive as I also have a free 1TB with them as well

4. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

You don't like the new photos app for Mac?
    It's pretty awesome for basic editing needs and it integrates beautifully with IPL. It's also very easy to just export your photos and do more sophisticated edits with other tools. I like it a lot and it will get even better when extensions start appearing.

5. titans1127 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with the app at all, I just don't do any type of photo editing at all. My only intention would have been to sync the folders that I keep on my computer up to IPL. Unfortunately to do that I have to import them into the library, effectively doubling the amount of space it takes up on my Mac. I really don't access those photos outside of straight backing them up anyway so it's not critical to have them on the cloud and on my other devices.

6. crashoverride77, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Why don't you delete the folder after you imported the photos into the library. You can always export pictures from photos afterwards and essentially have the folder with all your jpgs back. I tried it once already and the jpgs are exactly the same including the name, even when they came from IPL.
    You can also select the option to "not copy items to the library" in photos preferences, which does what you want (not sure how it would than work with IPL tho).
    Photos is just as nice way to view your pics on your Mac even if you don't edit. I used to prefer to have my pics in a folder but having a photo management tool is just so much more convenient, especially photos on Mac and IPL. It's the perfect solution for me :)

7. titans1127 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips :). Unfortunately if you don't import the photos into the library you can't upload them to IPL and even then, extra space still gets taken up by the library file. The photos app does the option to consolidate everything but all that happens is the photos app crashes half way through.

Having the 1TB of free one drive storage for life pretty much negates the need for me to use the photos app for Mac but IPL will definitely be given another shot for keeping pictures synced between my iPhone and iPad .

Hopefully Apple fixes the camera roll bug soon enough

8. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

No problem. Hope your find the best solution.