photos not displaying in iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by waveslider, Mar 18, 2009.

1. waveslider macrumors newbie

I recently changed my hard drive in my macbook, I managed to download my photos on to the macbook but they don't show up in iphoto

I can see them if I go to pictures > iphoto library > originals, but not if I just open up iphoto

I have tried File > import to library, but all I get is a message saying
    "the following file cannot be imported.(The file is in the iphoto library folder)"

Any help would be appreciated

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Close down iPhoto, hold down cmd & alt (or Apple and Option if you have an old keyboard) and click the iPhoto icon.

You will be presented options to rebuild the iPhoto library and thumbnails etc.

Worth a shot.

3. waveslider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks RemarkabLee, Just tried this - no sucess :confused:

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Okay next, I would close iPhoto again. Rename the iPhoto Library in your pictures folder to 'backupiphoto' or something, now fire up iPhoto again, which should create a fresh library folder.

Go to the iPhoto preferences and make sure the option to 'copy photos into iphoto library' is enabled - otherwise it will only link to the original location.

Now you are ready to import from backupiphoto/originals - which should import and copy into the new library.

Once the import is complete, you should be in a position to trash the backupiphoto folder.

Obviously ensure the new library is working correctly before you permanently empty the trashcan.

5. waveslider thread starter macrumors newbie

FANTASTIC, that worked

Thanks RemarkabLee, all 7000 photos back where they belong.