Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
these photos look a little nicer than the one's at apple.com.

I'll may reconsider my decision not to buy the new design. I'll have to get out to compusa or best buy this weekend.

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
Originally posted by sebimeyer
I think the blue effect has mainly to do with white balance. The current iPods backlight looks blue under certain coditions as well.
There are also reports that the seemingly blue keyboard lighting on the 17 inch powerbooks turned out to be white. I'd say people at Apple need to get their white balance better. Maybe that one click enhance in iPhoto is not that great after all? ;)

on the apple site there is the new LIVE logo which shows an iPod in the dark with the blue LCD and the red buttons quite clearly. Is this just another imbalance in the tone of the image?

See here

edit: mmm.... is it really dark, or is the iPod black! ;)

Whoever's going tonight... enjoy

- p

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
i finally got a job at the apple store up in Northridge, so i'll probably be in the middle of the mayhem from 6-10. Hell, and its my first day on the job too! :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by pinks
on the apple site there is the new LIVE logo which shows an iPod in the dark with the blue LCD and the red buttons quite clearly. Is this just another imbalance in the tone of the image?

See here

edit: mmm.... is it really dark, or is the iPod black! ;)

Whoever's going tonight... enjoy

- p

it's been a while since we've had such a brilliant newbie... go to http://www.apple.com, the ipod is WHITE and only WHITE, it's not and has never been black, if the lights were up no one would be able to see the backlight buttons!

and whoever posted it, several posts ago: i for one don't like the new ipod. i'm glad i bought one before they redesigned it-- it's way too rounded and "fisher-priced" now, plus i couldn't run the controls while it's in my pocket or while i can't see it. Which is why they put lights behind the buttons, which is part of why the battery life is 2 hours less.

Apple screwed around with a design that WORKED and worked well, now the product is going downhill, IMHO. the dock is the only decent thing about it, and i'm still leery of so many openings on it-- dust, pocket lint, and moisture just waiting to get inside...

pnw

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Ouch! My wallet hurts! (my head probably too when my wife finds out what I've done)

Just went out over lunch to Best Buy. They got three 15GB and three 30GB units in last night. I was the first one to buy one (a 15GB).

I've unpacked this marvel and cannot believe how tiny it is! Now I just have to figure out how to get my music onto it so I can listen on the way home!

One curious thing...I don't see why they had to "darken" the black iPod photo to show off the button backlighting. IT IS VERY RED AND VERY BRIGHT! I had absolutely no problem seeing the lights here in my office.

type_r503

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by newmanium
i finally got a job at the apple store up in Northridge, so i'll probably be in the middle of the mayhem from 6-10. Hell, and its my first day on the job too! :)

do you go to CSUN?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They new iPods look great! Many people on a certain rumors forum were hating them before they came out. Side by side the new one sure looks better--and that's saying something.

I also like that you do NOT need the dock. The cable for the dock unplugs and will ALSO plug right into the iPod, same as always! (Different shape connector of course.)

I hope the Line-Out of the Dock works without the Firewire cable present. I'll keep the dock on my stereo and drop the iPod in for music without any plugging of wires! The battery will last fine for that. And that way, the Firewire cable can stay on my Mac full time, in another room, for charging and updating.

senseibiz

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2002
Las Vegas
Finally got them, here they are.....

Attachments

• img_0312.jpg
    img_0312.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 408

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
To: Those who think the new iPods are black

Go read the CNET review. I doubt CNET would photoshop their review pictures. :p

2. To those who already bought one (or two) new iPods...

Does having the buttons recessed feel a bit weird? CNET says that they're uber-sensitive (as in Mission-Impossible-security-system sensitive). Is this true? Also, does the hold button feel sturdy?

P.S. - Are the headphones still craptacular?

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by Eple
You only got two of em?

i agree, i mean if you're going to do something, do it right. an iPod shrine would be best portrayed with a pyramid of iPod's, about 20 maybe to start with. plus 2 to carry with you (2 because the battery life only lasts half as long as you need it)

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
What happened to the "those photos are photoshopped"/"the iPod is BLACK" people? Any takers? :p

Come on.

But seriously, if it's true, I'm glad that the new backlight is still white. blue+white+orange is just too fruity, and the iPod is supposed to be a symbol of elegance (AND a rockin' mp3 player, to be sure)

Also, to Gen3 iPod owners. My previous questions still hold:

Are the new buttons feather-sensitive?

Does the recessing feel a bit awkward initially?

How sturdy is the hold switch, since I think I'd be using it quite a bit considering the button sensitivity?

Are the headphones still the same (read: bad)?

edit: spelling

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by iMook
Are the new buttons feather-sensitive?

No, they really function a lot like the older buttons, just in a touch capacity. It's very well engineered.

Does the recessing feel a bit awkward initially?

Not at all. It's just enough for you to deleniate between areas, but it's barely noticeable.

How sturdy is the hold switch, since I think I'd be using it quite a bit considering the button sensitivity?

It's very sturdy. It's machined metal of some sort, and it's quite rigid. Doesn't feel flimsy in the least. It's also raised up from the edge just enough that you can feel it by touching the top edge of the iPod. Very well realized.

Are the headphones still the same (read: bad)?

The headphones are carried over from the previous generation, so they're the same. They sound great, but they're still earbuds. :(

It's really amazing how Apple managed to improve the little things that none of us knew needed to be improved. :)

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
Thanks a bunch, wsteineker.

Now I'm even more impatient to get my 15GB now.

The earbuds don't suck? I've heard before that the iPod earbuds suck massively (e.g. compared to the Sony MDR-EX71SL earbuds)

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Originally posted by iMook
Thanks a bunch, wsteineker.

Now I'm even more impatient to get my 15GB now.

The earbuds don't suck? I've heard before that the iPod earbuds suck massively (e.g. compared to the Sony MDR-EX71SL earbuds)

I'm no earbud expert, so I'm not in a position to judge the relative quality of these particular earbuds. That said, they're killer for factory headphones. I'll check out that Sony model, though, as the Apple earbuds are a bit too big for my ears. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.