Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
It should be a tad more useful simply because IOS 10 devices will finally give up raw DNG files and not just jpg. So there will be a better baseline for editing IOS images using Photos and extensions. But that IOS change may not directly impact Photos design.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It wasn't mentioned much. But they are adding some content recognition for local face identification, content itself, and a "memories" collection that I guess makes slideshows, etc. It basically sounds like google photos but available on your iOS or macOS device. Nothing big enough to warrant much time at the keynote, although as MCAsan noted, RAW from iPhone photos would be nice. Not sure if you'll need Photos desktop to access those, though, since they will apparently be DNGs.

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
I am somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for Photos on macOS getting some love at WWDC.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I would be surprised if all that crap like face recognition, and memories that were shown for IOS Photos will not also be in macOS Photos. Stuff for the casual snapshot shooter using an IOS device. Remember that is where Apple's big income and interest is centered.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
There are a number of posts, some with screen shots, about changes in macOS Photos in the "All the Little Things" thread in the forum for the Sierra beta release.

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
So from what i can tell from skipping through the "all the little things" pages: Not much has changed.
Photos has new Places-view, but other than that, things appear to be the same. I might have missed some posts.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Just what a nature photographer needs....advanced face recognition. LOL
Well, that it can recognize horses and mountains will hopefully mean that it stops recognizing horse and mountains as your family and friends.

Maybe they can get it to tall African from European swallows while they're at it.

Seriously, if the recognition is advanced enough, it could be quite useful to most people. I actually LIKE Photos, but do not expect anything so good, however.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Apples MacOS Sierra preview web page show changes that are consistent with the changes on iOS 10 - Memories (which I consider automatic slideshows), Intelligent Search (recognition of geographic features, objects, scenes, etc.), Places album (back from the iPhoto ashes), and (presumably greatly improved) People album.

Based on tidbits picked up from WWDC and the coverage surrounding it, for now these operate independently on each iOS device and Mac, but Apple plans to add methods for viewing the results across devices.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Apples MacOS Sierra preview web page show changes that are consistent with the changes on iOS 10 - Memories (which I consider automatic slideshows), Intelligent Search (recognition of geographic features, objects, scenes, etc.), Places album (back from the iPhoto ashes), and (presumably greatly improved) People album.

Based on tidbits picked up from WWDC and the coverage surrounding it, for now these operate independently on each iOS device and Mac, but Apple plans to add methods for viewing the results across devices.

And there was some discussion under NDA a few months ago at NAB about the future of fcpx. I speculate that Intelligent Search was the topic of discussion and this feature has been integrated into fcpx based on what we heard at wwdc about Photos. This would suggest the feature will be integrated into iMovie as well.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
When the public beta launches, we'll know what new features are added. Speculating until then is futile.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Public beta for fcpx? I am not aware Apple has ever had a public beta for any of its apps?

Perhaps Bending Pixels was referring to Photos, which is the topic of this thread, rather than FCPX, which was mentioned in just a single post? Adjacency is no guarantee of causality in a message board discussion.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Perhaps Bending Pixels was referring to Photos, which is the topic of this thread, rather than FCPX, which was mentioned in just a single post? Adjacency is no guarantee of causality in a message board discussion.
Yep - Photos is integrated into macOS (and OS X El Capitan)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.