Photos/People

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by scholls22, Jun 14, 2016.

1. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

The battery drain shouldn't be a result of the scanning, as it's only supposed to process when connected to power.

2. aduteau macrumors 6502a

So all this scanning to produce memories and tagging people's faces ... are these backup to icloud photo .. or do we have to scan again and recreate memories everytime I do a reset of my phone or get a new phone ?

3. mark-vdw macrumors regular

It won't sync in the current versions of iOS / macOS. Faces are scanned per device, and are not synced through iCloud. Apple has publicly stated that they do plan to add this "in the future", but whether that means iOS 10.1 or iOS 11 is anyone's guess at this point.

Most people seem to have decided to either not bother for now, or just pick 1 device as the one where they get the faces right, and hope it will sync from there to the rest when Apple has solved the cloud syncing problem.

4. wbrat macrumors regular

It shows that they released unfinished product. The other feature that is missing in my opinion is the possibility to use face recognition results when assigning pictures to your contacts - I was quite surprised that it doesn't work like that, even if you selected the name for recognized person from the address book.

5. trevorplease macrumors regular

Is there a way to just turn off this feature completely? (i.e. delete the people's folder)

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Any way to make Photos write names to the files in keywords? Or to avoid endless "merge" boxes since it doesn't seem to recognize that the sames are the same person as those already ID'D?

7. Ben1980 macrumors newbie

Well I have just upgraded to a new device and all the work merging and identifying 'people' has reset.

FFS Apple!

8. Banich2 macrumors regular

I agree!!! Also, I feel like there should be a link to their photos from their contact card
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2017 ---
    Did you not back it up or use iCloud Photo Library?