Photos Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaynecobb, Apr 11, 2015.

1. jaynecobb macrumors member

Hey I am uploading a large formerly iPhoto folder to the new Photos app into the cloud. It will probably take a few days.

I can see that it is adding photos to the cloud as they are appearing in my iPhone. I'm a bit confused because it is also adding a bunch of photos to my recently deleted folder. Any idea why it would be doing this?

When I look in the Photos app on my Mac, they all appear to be there, I'm just a little worked Photos is randomly deciding to delete some of my photos.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

2. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

You may have its optimization feature on. It deletes photos that are duplicates and or like other photos I believe.

Possibly ?

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Or this:

(It's deleting the full resolution photos it has uploaded to iCloud Photo Library, while keeping lower resolution ones on your Mac.)

Attached Files:

4. jaynecobb thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm so it only keeps lower resolution files on your Mac?

Can anyone else confirm if that is happening on theirs?(I just wnat to make sure I am not losing picturesS)

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Optimization, to my knowledge, does not remove apparent duplicates from the iCloud Photo Library - it's sole job is to optimize storage utilization on iOS devices and Macs. "Deleted" ought to contain only images deleted from the iCloud Photo Library. The work done in the background to optimize iOS and Mac storage is invisible. iCloud documents have actually been managed this way for years - if a document hasn't been accessed in a long time it may be deleted from an iOS device in order to free-up space, leaving only the document's metadata behind (so that you know it still exists). If you then try to open the document on your device, it will be re-downloaded.

If there are items in Deleted you don't think you deleted... Had you already been using iCloud Photo Library Beta on any of your iOS devices? If you had, it could be images you've deleted from those devices over the past month. Otherwise, there's the possibility of a bug. If you're confident you or a family member/friend didn't delete them, a call to AppleCare might be in order. I don't think there'll be a charge under these circumstances.

----------

The default is to keep full resolution images on your Mac. The optimization option is there to help folks with small HDDs/SSDs.