Photos Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaynecobb, Apr 15, 2015.

1. jaynecobb macrumors member

Hello All

I have a iMac, Macbook Air, iPad and 2 iPhone's(between my wife and I)

What I would like to do is have my photos stored on iMac as well as in the cloud, so all other devices can access them.

I'd like to be able to have all photos from other devices once in the cloud, to also be saved to the iMac Drive.

Is this possible and if so what settings in Photos do I use?

i.e. I'm confused about the options
    "Download Originals to this Mac"
    and
    "Optimize Mac Storage"

I have enough space in the cloud and on my hard drive either way. Ideally I would like full resolution versions both in the cloud and on my iMac.

Thanks

2. crashoverride77, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

It will always store/upload the full res image/video to iCloud Photo Library, regardless of settings.

If you want to also always have a full res copy locally on your Mac, which you said you do because you don't care about space, select "download originals to Mac". This will always download a full res copy to your Mac.
    On a mac the "optimised" option essentially does the same thing but will start to delete full res images from your Mac when space is running low and will than only keep a low res thumbnail. If you than view this thumnbail on your Mac it would than download the full res image again from iCloud. On iOS devices it's the same principle.
    This all sounds more complicated than it really is because it all happens in the background and you don't have to worry about it.

My settings are:

Mac = keep originals (I would change to optimised if my library would grow so big that I would run out of space on my 128GB SD)

iOS devices = optimise storage (they are only 16GB so I always want as much space as possible)

Hope that helps

3. jaynecobb thread starter macrumors member

Wow thanks thats of great help!!!

I suppose my follow up question would be what setting would I use for my Macbook Air. Obviously I wouldn't have the room here so I am assuming optimize storage?

I guess part of that question is my understanding of the process.

1. If I am on vacation and upload photos to my Macbook Air. Will they end up in the cloud AND end up on the iMAC(assuming the iMac is set for keep originals)

2. Will I be able to edit full pictures from my Macbook Air(lets say I am stuck at an airport and connect to the wifi can I spend time editing pictures that are in the cloud)

Thanks for the help.

4. MDJCM macrumors regular

MDJCM

1. Yes, if the iMac is left on I don't see why it wouldn't be instant. Otherwise it'll catch up when switched on.

2. Yes, you can click on a photo and Photos app will download the full version for editing.