Photos question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rodin, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Rodin macrumors newbie

Hello and Christmas greetings from the very cold Sofia in Bulgaria.
    I have a new ipodTouch (John Lennon on the box).
    Q1, Is it possible to hack/jailbreak (?)
    Q2 We have pictures of our newish baby. So we put the jpegs into Iphoto & sync the ipod. Pictures are quite poor quality. Help please.

(Apologies if these are very basic questions but all help appreciated)

2. dagored macrumors 65816

Merry Christmas from America. You can just load picts directly into your Touch from your computer.

Make a folder - call it what you want - I call mine Touch Photos - I leave it on my desktop and place jpegs in folders in this folder. Example: in the Touch Photos folder are - Vacation - Pets - Family, etc. (folders)

Now sync your Touch to your computer - launch iTunes. Under the Photos tab select the first choice - Sync photos from: in the popup menu - Select - Choose folder. . .and choose Touch Photos (or whatever you have chosen).

My jpegs come out really well this way. I do not use iPhoto for anything. See if they come out better that way.

It is much easier, in my opinion to move picts out of these folders than to mess with iPhoto. YMMV

Remember - only jpegs in the folders. Cuts down on problems.

3. franzmueller macrumors regular

Merry Christmas from Spain !!!

I do the same as Dagoret but for other reason ( even though I am a Mac user ) I found out that I need iLife 08 to transfer my pics from iPhoto automatic so I export my folders to the desktop and the quality is excellent .

Saludos

4. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

Q2 We have pictures of our newish baby. So we put the jpegs into Iphoto & sync the ipod. Pictures are quite poor quality. Help please.

the screen resolution is not very high and at normal viewing are ok but if you zoom in they are going to show the limits of the screen.

5. dagored macrumors 65816

Not true. Depends on the original picture. I shoot RAW with a Nikon and save to jpeg for smugmug and my Touch. I can zoom in and the photos on the Touch are great. The originals are about 16 x 20 however.

If you shoot in jpeg with a cell phone or low quality P & S you are not going to get good results.

If you sync a good quality photo it will look pretty good.

6. toonz diggler macrumors member

THANK YOU!!! for your reply, it also helped me. Quick question for you . I have many AVI's Mpeg's wmv etc .. is it the same concept?

7. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

i am new to this ipod and i saved smaller jpegs in cs3 to transfer to the touch.

the ones i sent were no larger than 4"x5" at 100 ppi.

i will try larger ones next time.

regardless the resolution is not real high.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

If you are talking videos, get Handbrake or VisualHub on the Mac side. All videos must be saved as mpeg-4.

9. Rodin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks people but the problems persist.
    I have followed your advice but on transfer to the touch the photos are blurred -not a great deal but not OK.
    strangely though some photos are perfect-all photos taken same time, same res etc

could it be a blip on the device ? a software fault ?

10. dagored macrumors 65816

If some are perfect and some are not, I would not blame the Touch.

11. Rodin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but logic would say if they are all
    the same res
    jpegs
    all from the same folder
    taken with the same camera
    synced at the same time
    same procedure tried from 2 different Macs

they should all look the same (blurry or not) ?
    Maybe it is a bug, someone else here is having problems with their cover art.

I do appreciate the help here, I'm back in the UK couple of weeks, I'll take to a genius counter.