Photos security

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Devie, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Devie macrumors 6502a

I've just plugged my iphone 5 into my work laptop ( windows 7) and discovered that when it mounts I can very easily access the photos, even when the phone is locked. Why is this and how do I stop it? Like many I have photos that I do not want anyone to see.
    No photo sharing has been turned on ..

2. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

3. nparmelee macrumors 6502

You are seeing this because your computer sees your phone as a camera. You would need to have a physical connection to get to your photos. To avoid this, use a wall plug instead of your laptop for charging.

4. Altis macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure OP wants to prevent others from accessing their photos... not themselves.

OP, I don't actually know how this could be prevented, but I don't think it's possible with the iPhone/Pod/Pad.

5. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

A popup comes up everytime you connect your phone asking to trust the computer. If you click no, you can't see the photos. If you click trust, then it will allow to se the photos everytime after that.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

the best security is to not leave your phone unattended.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes.

And when someone has physical possession of practically any device you should assume it can be compromised.

8. cynics macrumors G3

You can try moving the photos you don't want seen to an app like photo vault. That's an app that requires a password to see the pics. Not sure if this would move them from view when connected to a computer or not but it's worth a shot.

9. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Yes moving them to any one of the several photo vault / album apps removes them from the IOS photo folder and puts them in a password protected folder. On most I have seen you can choose to back them up or leave them only on the device.

10. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

This seems to be a bit of a joke... So I can just take anyone's iphone even though they've locked it down and had privacy settings turned on I can still get all their photos...
    God everyone my age has pics of their mrs on their phone...

Thanks for the suggestion of the apps. I'll give them a look.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can only do that using a computer that the phone previously trusted it would seem.

As for keeping some types of photos (which far from everyone takes, let alone actually leaves on the phone), there are other options available, like the suggested privacy storage apps specifically for things of that nature.

12. Devie thread starter macrumors 6502a

This phone had never been connected to that computer...

13. Gymgenius Suspended

I've just done the same steps, but my Windows 7 Work's laptop cannot navigate to the photos on my locked iphone 5.

Because the phone is locked, I don't get the 'trust this computer' prompt.
    My work laptop doesn't have itunes on either.

This is exactly how I'd expect it to work, and my photos cannot be viewed from the laptop when my phone is locked.

14. Azy macrumors regular

Maybe you should post the photo's you are worried about so we can all see what exactly we are talking about... May be able to better advise you then. :apple: