iPhone 6(S)(+) Photos set to go to icloud yet it says 9gb storage used for photos.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by misskryss, Dec 9, 2018.

1. misskryss macrumors newbie

misskryss

If anyone knows how to get the storage space cleared up that would be fantastic. I have it set up to automatically go to icloud. Yet it says it's taking up 9gb. I can't figure it out.
    Thanks for your time.

2. FreddyKrueger macrumors newbie

FreddyKrueger

- Go to Settings / at top tap on your name / iCloud
    - Under "Apps using iCloud", tap on "Photos", disable "iCloud Photos" and "My Photo Stream"
    - Go back and tap on "Manage Storage" / "Backups" then tap on your iphone backup and disable every app you don't want to store on icloud
    - Finally I suggest to install Google Photos

[​IMG]

3. misskryss thread starter macrumors newbie

misskryss

Thank you Freddy. I've gotten part way through your steps. Do I say "remove from iphone"? Thanks for helping me.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2018 ---
    Okay so I decided to click on remove photos. Now it says are you sure you want to remove 48,700 photos from your phone! lol Wow I have a lot of photos. I'm scared to click yes but it see
    Okay so I decided to click on remove photos. Now it says are you sure you want to remove 48,700 photos from your phone! lol Wow I have a lot of photos. I'm scared to click yes but it says they will remain in icloud photos. So I guess it's safe. I'm assuming you've solved my issue. Why would I need google photos if I'm paying for 2TB of icloud storage? Is it different than icloud?

Attached Files:

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you have 2TB of iCloud, no need to use Google much less delete anything, unless you need to.

5. misskryss thread starter macrumors newbie

misskryss

I don't want to delete anything, but if I turn off icloud and then turn it back on will it clear up space or will it be the same as it is now? That's good that I don't need Google. Thanks for replying. :)

6. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Are you having a storage management issue? iCloud should automatically free up space on your device when needed by reducing the local copy to a thumbnail and storing the original with your 2 TB of storage.

7. misskryss thread starter macrumors newbie

misskryss

--- Post Merged, Dec 9, 2018 ---
    Yes I am having storage issues. Everything is going to the iCloud because I looked on iCloud.com to confirm. However they are still taking up almost 10gb of space. Maybe this is normal. It does say that I’m using 400gb of iCloud storage for my photos. Perhaps that many thumb nails take up that much space. I have the 32gb phone so it doesn’t leave much space.

8. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

How much space do you have left on your phone? It should make room as needed.

9. misskryss thread starter macrumors newbie

misskryss

I kept on getting the message pop up saying I didn’t have any more space to take photos. So I’m constantly deleting apps to take a few more pics. I ended up deleting all the photos from my phone (after I made sure they were in the cloud). So I cleared the space and now I’m wondering if I’ll just have the same issue if I turn iCloud back on for photos. Maybe I won’t turn in on again. Maybe I’ll just airdrop the pics to my computer when ever I’m home. Seems like I’d be deleting the whole purpose but I want the space on my phone.

10. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Do you have "Optimize Phone Storage" selected in settings? This is the setting that keeps a full resolution original in iCloud and only a space saving thumbnail on your phone.

For instance, I have about 120 GB of photos on iCloud, but they are only taking up 2.1 GB on my phone.

The setting location is right under photos.

6720F505-2DC1-4856-9AEF-627E1C90E4B8.png

11. misskryss thread starter macrumors newbie

misskryss

I do have it set to optimize phone storage. With you saying that you have 120gb of photos and your phone storage is 2.1gb that makes me think they my thumbnails must have been taking up the space. I have just over 400gb in iCloud and I had almost 10gb on my phone. So perhaps I just need a bigger phone. Lol :)
    Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

12. Five_Oh macrumors regular

Five_Oh

Yes, it does seem to be working as designed. But it has some limitations as far as how much it can compress your photo library.

If possible, I would recommend a phone with more storage rather than trying some other way to back up photos by transferring and deleting from the phone.

That would defeat most of the utility of iCloud, which, when working properly, is so seamless.

Good luck!

13. misskryss thread starter macrumors newbie

misskryss

Thank you so much! I think you’re right about the phone with more storage. It does work seamlessly to have iCloud on all devices.
    All the best to you.