Photos setup with new MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmansc, Apr 18, 2015.

1. bmansc macrumors newbie

Now that I've imported my iPhoto library to the Photos app, when I set up my new MacBook on Weenesday, do I just log in to iCloud, launch Photos, and let everything copy down? I do have iCloud Photos on and can see everything on all devices. It's just under 9000 items. If I don't have to manually move my photos over using Time Machine, I really won't need to connect to anything other than WiFi. Everything else is in Dropbox and iCloud. Am I thinking correctly?

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Yes, that is correct. Just launch photos, enable icloud photo library, and let everything download.

Take note that the process will likely hog your macbook and network for quite a while (it is a lot of photos). So don't be surprised if your laptop becomes unresponsive and your house internet appears to go out for some time.

3. bmansc thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! I was struggling figuring out how to move the library with the one port!

4. KoolAid-Drink, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Would it be possible for the OP to just copy the library file (if photos are selected to be downloaded on your Mac, NOT optimized) and then transfer the library file over to the new MacBook, and let it sync/merge. Would that be a possibility, to save time redownloading and all?

5. Daysight macrumors regular

I can't answer that, except to point out that it would be safer I think to let it sync over wireless. Took overnight for me to download 21k photos to my MacBook after uploading them over the previous night from my iMac. Now everything syncs fine.