Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
Hi, I'm using Photos on the Mac and the library is currently on my wife's iMac. I would like to share that same library with my iMac, so we can both edit photos from different computers (not at the same time) using one library. I do not want to sign up for iCloud Photo library as it is too expensive, and I have about 1.5TB of photos and videos.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Just put the library on an external hard drive and connect to whatever computer you want to use at that time.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
External drives work AFAIK, they just have to be HFS and not NTFS.

Use AFP and put the file on some NAS or connect to a share on one of computers you choose as a master.

I use option #2. Big jobs on the remote machine will obviously take a hit on speed, but your options are fairly limited.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I've read that Photos doesn't work on external drives

My Aperture was (and now Photos and Lightroom) libraries are all on external drives and I use them on whatever computer I need to. Works great. Putting them on a NAS is much slower but also works. Google has a fair amount of info on it if you'd like to do additional research.

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
That's a potential recipe for disaster. My wife and are are both amateur photographers. Pre-distribution we have our own unique libraries. Once shots go to distribution, they go to one unique Photos library and that's what we use for viewing, sharing and iOS syncs.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The files at any one time need to be part of the file system of one and only one computer. Move the library drive between computers as needed. Do library backup via TM or other app via only one computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.