Photos Sync/Delete Album Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hanwei, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hanwei, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Hanwei macrumors member

Hey Guys.... I apologize for this thread ahead of time if it's been brought up before but I couldn't find it in a search.

So I just picked up the iPhone 5... and wanted to transfer the photos from my iPhone 4 (216 of them) onto the new 5.

I first transferred the photos from the 4 onto my pc into a photo named "iPhone 4 Photos".

I then connected my iPhone 5 to iTunes... clicked on the Photos tab... and in the "sync photos from" drop down window I navigated to the "iPhone 4 Photos" folder.

I then pressed sync.

Now, on the iPhone 5, instead of having just "Camera Roll" in the Photos App, I have 3 albums...

Camera Roll (27)
    Photo Library (216)
    iPhone 4 Photos (216)

Is there any way I can get rid of either the Photo Library album or the iPhone 4 Photos album? I don't need 2 albums with the same photos in them.

I don't seem to be able to delete either using the phone... and I can't figure out how to delete either using iTunes.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: You know what... I just realized that the iPhone 4 Photos album is probably a sub album of the Photo Library isn't it. Damnit. And if I were to add a second album named "Hanwei's an Idiot" that had one photo in it, my Photo app would look like:

Camera Roll (27)
    Photo Library (217)
    iPhone 4 Photos (216)
    Hanwei's an Idiot (1)

Right? Right. Okay. Sorry for wasting everyone's time ;)

(But if I'm wrong... by all means correct me and offer some advice... Thanks again!)

2. KAREN17 macrumors newbie

delete album etc from iphone 5

Well...I can't find where anyone answered you regarding this issue...
    ...I have just transfered photos from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 with the same results as you...only I have TRIPLICATE 730 photos..( apparently I am way bigger photo hoarder than you)..anyway...I trimmed down my photos in Camera Roll...here's my current situation:
    CAMERA ROLL 135
    PHOTO LIBRARY 730
    LAST IMPORT 730
    I too cannot find how to delete the photos in the PHOTO ALBUM or the LAST IMPORT...on the phone or in iTunes... i can select individual pics but no option to DELETE....
    I was at the Genius Bar yesterday and their suggestion regarding was connect back to computer and select LAST IMPORT and delete...well...'Last Import' is now a 'new' last import and I can't figure how to delete it there anyway...
    ..going back to Genius Bar today but .....
    KAREN17

3. scoiattolo49 macrumors newbie

You don't triplicate the photos.. they stay the same .:D

As the OP added to his original post, they are really only albums that are automatically created but they refer to the same photos, so no additional space is used: you just have one copy of each photo even if it appears in different albums.

You can add albums (and indeed delete the ones you added) but not delete the automatically created ones

4. KAREN17 macrumors newbie

photo sync/delete on iphone 5

...thank you for response ...so...the PHOTO ALBUM and the LAST IMPORT ALBUM (each 730 photos)are not taking up space?...so no need to delete?...how did I get these in the first place ??? how do I avoid it in future sync from iphone to desk top computer???...or does it matter?
    karen17

5. scoiattolo49 macrumors newbie

You got the 730 photos because you had them on your PC and you selected to sync those with your iPhone
    They of course take the space but just once even if they appear in multiple folders.

If you don't want to sync the photos on your PC with the iPhone, you have to deselect this in iTunes:
    connect your iPhone, go to the iPhone section and select the Photos tab. There you will find all the options for syncing