Photos transferred from iPad are all corrupt

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dark Goob, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

I have an iPad 2 64GB, all official software no jailbreaks etc.

My mac is a 2009 Mac Pro 8-core with 4TB hard drives with 12GB RAM running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

I am using Apple's Image Capture app to import photos into a folder on my hard drive. This hard drive has no known issues and has no disk errors etc.

The pictures all display just fine on the iPad and they are all just fine on the original memory card, which thankfully I did not erase.

They were shot with an Olympus E-5 using a SanDisk Extreme SDHC 8GB card.

I downloaded all the pictures to the iPad using the Apple Camera Connection Kit, using the SDHC reader that comes with it.

I have successfully transferred many pictures from my iPad to my Mac Pro in the past using the USB cable that came with the iPad. I just hooked it up to the front of the Mac Pro and it worked perfectly in the past.

However this time for some reason, all the files that I copy off of the iPad to the Mac Pro using Image Capture take exceptionally long amounts of time to copy over -- much longer than if I simply download from the memory card itself over USB.

Now, it has always been slow... not sure why...

But anyway now, most of the JPEGs I transferred to the Mac Pro from the iPad using Image Capture are corrupted. The files are truncated. The data is all screwed up.

No warnings were given when I was downloading them before, but it did give me an error when trying to copy one of the AVI files. That one would not transfer no matter how many times I tried it.

I am starting to not trust the iPad as a way to offload my memory cards in the field. This was my brother's wedding, for crying out loud.

But I think the actual files in the iPad itself are probably OK, since they display just fine on its own screen using the Photos app. I just don't understand why Image Capture is failing, and taking so darn long to transfer the files.

Furthermore I fail to understand why Apple cannot simply allow Finder-level access to ones own photographs in the iPad. I understand for DRM purposes why they do not allow access to the stored music, etc. But these are MY pictures... I don't get why I shouldn't be able to just drag and drop copy them within the Finder. What the heck, Apple?

Has anyone else had this problem? Or know why it might happen? How can I fix it? What causes it? Thanks.

-=DG=-

2. Dark Goob thread starter macrumors regular

Dark Goob

Clearer explanation of the problem:

Here is a clearer explanation of the problem. I guess, disregard the first post.

Problem summary:
    • SLOW TRANSFER: all the photos and videos that I copy off of the iPad to the Mac Pro using Image Capture take exceptionally long amounts of time to transfer -- much longer than if I simply download from the memory card itself over USB.
    • CORRUPT FILES: Most of the JPEGs and some of the AVIs I transferred to the Mac Pro from the iPad using Image Capture are corrupted. The image files are truncated. The data is all screwed up.

My hardware/software setup:
    • iPad 2 64GB, iOS 5.0.1, all official software no jailbreaks etc.
    • 2009 Mac Pro 8-core with 4TB hard drives with 12GB RAM running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
    • using Apple's Image Capture app to import photos into a folder on my hard drive.
    • This hard drive has no known issues and has no disk errors etc.
    • shot with an Olympus E-5 using a SanDisk Extreme SDHC 8GB card.
    • pictures downloaded into iPad using the Apple Camera Connection Kit's SDHC reader.
    • have tried several different iPad USB cables with no effect on the issue.

Notes:
    • The pictures all display just fine on the iPad and they are all just fine on the original memory card, which thankfully I did not erase.
    • In the past, I have successfully transferred many pictures from my iPad to my Mac Pro in the past using the USB cable that came with the iPad.
    • The problems seem to have begun when I started a transfer one time and my HD ran out of space in the middle of the transfer. I had to force-quit Image Capture. Since then, I have since cleared a lot of free space up on that drive and so it should work fine now, but it doesn't.
    • One one particular AVI file, Image Capture throws an error saying it can't be transferred due to an error. However the rest of the files also transfer unsuccessfully.
    • The transfers are going exceptionally slow, much slower than copying files to my Mac directly from an SDHC card.

Where I'm at:
    • I think the actual files in the iPad itself are probably OK, since they display just fine on its own screen using the Photos app. I just don't understand why Image Capture is failing, and taking so darn long to transfer the files.
    • I fail to understand why Apple cannot simply allow Finder-level access to ones own photographs in the iPad. I understand for DRM purposes why they do not allow access to the stored music, etc. But these are MY pictures... I don't get why I shouldn't be able to just copy them within the Finder. What the heck, Apple?

Has anyone else had this problem? Or know why it might happen? How can I fix it? What causes it?

Thanks.

3. Dark Goob thread starter macrumors regular

Dark Goob