Photo's ugh!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by offtheroad, Mar 10, 2015.

1. offtheroad macrumors regular

offtheroad

I just (1 day ago) downloaded the beta YOSEMITE 10.10.3 and Photos. I can't see any difference in the OS only problem I have is coming out of sleep mode or restarting I'm taken to my Log out page instead of the desktop. And Photo's is worse than iPhoto. I'm really gong to miss Aperture. I guess I'll have to give Adobe Lightroom a look?

2. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

Or simply wait for the official Photos release before deciding. You're getting worked up over software that is still in preview/beta phase. The whole point of that is to kick the tires and identify bugs before everyone else gets it. Maybe this issue will be fixed in time for the general release?

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have a feeling a lot of people are forgetting this. I am reading threads of folks putting their entire photo libraries in a software application that is labeled "beta"!! I hope they have a back up just in case! :eek:

4. offtheroad thread starter macrumors regular

offtheroad

Well I agree with you there I just wish we, that beta test software would get compensation for being a R&D lab for Apple.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

You do get compensated. You get to try out new software before any of the rest of us even get to see what's in it. If that's not compensation enough, you should probably not do it and let other people, who would like to do it, fill your spot.

6. offtheroad thread starter macrumors regular

offtheroad

Good answer, I use to work at the largest R&D lab in the USA Sandia National Lab's maybe thats why they chose me. Until I launched the app there was no way to tell how basic it was. I wish in there feedback app they would answer some questions. I did put a copy of my entire Aperture lib on it 338GB just to see how it would handle it. But I have 2 other backup's of it.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'm sorry you didn't know, but Photos wasn't made to be an Aperture replacement, and if your objection is to features, that's not likely to be resolved in the final release. Bugs yeah, but not many other changes.

I'd suggest you try Lightroom. I switched and I'd say there is very little you'd miss from Aperture, except in terms of the whole interface. Which I grant can be a big deal for some. Try the demo.

And do you mean the system is kicking you to that "Do you want to log out?" box?

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Pretty sure your previous position had little to nothing to do with your acceptance into the beta testing program.

The program is to test out features and report bugs, not give advice regarding major overhauls.

9. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

To be fair it doesn't really run like a beta program. I haven't had it crash once nd I'm yet to experience any bugs/lag or hiccups of any kind. I put my entire library across to it without any second thought. I of course have a back up like I imagine anyone IT-involved enough to sign up for a beta release would do.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Well yeah

That's doing it right.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the rule for everyone.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Whether it feels like a beta or not, it still has the beta tag and should be treated as such. You are doing it correctly by not putting your one and only library in it. If you read through the main thread, there are a few, and I would imagine more than just a few, who are using it as their main DAM and a couple of folks are having issues.

But then again even if it isn't in beta, when it comes to pictures I have more than one back up! Would be tough to try and recover or and nearly impossible to replace.

Again, having a back up = thumbs up.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally speaking, the features of the app are locked in. Sure we may see a few miner additions but any and all major features are in the beta now. True its best to wait for the release version before deciding but I think the writing is on the wall and that Photos is not aimed at Aperture users, but rather casual iPhone users who want something like iPhoto.

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have not used it yet, but would you say it is a good replacement for iPhoto?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think so, it offers some nice improvements and iCloud synchronization. I think the breakdown is when you compare Photos (a consumer level product) with Aperture (a prosumer/professional focused product).

15. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I'd say it's better than iPhoto, but at the end of the day it depends on your needs.

If by "better" you mean moving up to something with more options for organization and image adjustment (like Aperture had, or Lightroom or the like) then no, it doesn't cut it.

It's not too different than what you might be using on iOS, and if you do use iOS and want automatic syncing via iCloud Photo Library, then it is a good tool.

And it's free....;)

16. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I have a rule of three for anything I really couldn't stand to lose (photos is the most important and irreplaceable data for me). So I make sure I have them all stored in at least 3 different places.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I use iPhoto a lot and want to make sure that it will be comparable to iPhoto as it is today.

I have used Aperture, but I was late to the game and plan on going the Lightroom route so I am not worried about a replacement for Aperture. I am more looking for a simple iPhoto replacement (me and the wife) and Lightroom for me.....

Thanks

----------

You and me both! :)