Photos, which is the real library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by greenmonkeyblue, Apr 27, 2015.

1. greenmonkeyblue macrumors newbie

The story: I uploaded and installed software and got the new Photos app. Then the old MBP died and I had to use the university MBP. No pics on the university MBP, and all my other data were on Dropbox.

So I thought I'd just upload all my pics to iCloud and have everything safe for ever after. This did not happen, and after having my case escalated to a supervisor, Apple said, "Sorry. It's lost."

My inelegant solution was to download the backup Pictures folder from Backblaze. I did so, but ended up with iPhotoslibrary, iphotosmigratedlibrary, and Photoslibrary. I don't seem to be able to "look inside," so which one is the "real" pic library?

On another note is there any way, other than converting all .apalbum files to something like .jpg, to save and be able to view my Mac-stored pics? ...You know, in case of an apocalypse that wipes out Apple machines.

Many thanks.

GMB

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

The files with the "i" in front of the name appear to be for iPhoto, not Photos. I checked on my machine and the library is called "Photos Library.photoslibrary". If you don't have that file, you might be out of luck.

If you have access to a machine that still has iPhoto on it, perhaps you can load one of those "i" libraries then migrate it. For example, although I migrated, iPhoto is still installed on my machine.

Good luck!