Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by teqmter, Apr 16, 2016.

1. teqmter macrumors newbie

teqmter

I Keep all my photos and videos all on a external drive. I would like to clean and start new with Photos and put a copy of my photos on Photos. What is the best way to do this? thanks teqmter

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you been using Photos already? If not, just start Photos then drag and drop all your images into the Photos app and they will be imported.

If you have already been using Photos, just hold option key when you launch Photos and you will get a prompt to create a new library. Go ahead and do that then drag and drop the images into Photos.

3. teqmter thread starter macrumors newbie

teqmter

thanks i'll try that teqmter

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Actually I like your "original storage scheme" better.

It's what I do, myself.
    I don't trust ANY application (iPhoto, Photos, Aperture, etc.) to "manage" my photo library.

I keep my "masters" (i.e., untouched originals) in a simple finder "folder/file" hierarchy on an external volume.
    I then have my image viewing/editing apps access this storage in "referenced" mode (i.e., the apps DO NOT copy the originals into their libraries).

Now I can access my "master library" from ANY image app I choose, knowing that the masters will always be there.

Aside:
    I do the same with music. Even though I have many gigabytes of mp3's, my "iTunes folder" is..... empty.