Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Hi all, I'm hoping my fellow mac users can help me here.

I have an assignment at the end of May. I want to bring all my camera kit which is my pride and joy, so I need something secure, dust proof and that I can bring onto the cabin.

I'm prepared to pay up to £200 ($250) for something that will achieve all that. Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi all, I'm hoping my fellow mac users can help me here.

I have an assignment at the end of May. I want to bring all my camera kit which is my pride and joy, so I need something secure, dust proof and that I can bring onto the cabin.

I'm prepared to pay up to £200 ($250) for something that will achieve all that. Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks!

Pelican. That's what you want. Price is only about 1/2 your budget too. I suggest you first geta nice soft camera bag, pack your gera in that and then place the entire packed bag in the case. Then when you get on location leave the case in the car or truck and walk around with the bag.

I have personally use these cases. I've had my gear through on the bottom of a stake bad truck and then had piles of tools, cases, scuba tanks and what not piled on top. I did not even think that my gear might be damaged. On another trip we were transporting video equipment down a river in an open canoe. Two cases of gear, fluid head tripod and the works. We flipped the canoe over in white water and had to swim the gear and boat to shore. After being knocked by rocks and bounced around in the water, I didn't even think that the gear might be damaged. We were able to get our shots of the others in the party

That said, yes I have had cases damaged. One of my larger wheeled cases had the wheels worn out because I pulled it about a mile over cobblestones and down a few flights of stars with 100 pounds in the case. (We were using the wheeled case as a moving dolly.) They gave me a new case. Lifetime unconditional warranty. Another time a part of a handle broke, they replaced that too.

A lot of people think they can hand carry their camera gear, Maybe on a US airline, maybe. but try and argue with a Chinese van driver who does not speak English and wants ALL luggage to go on a pick-up truck that will follow his van. You will not win. Just buy an indestructible case.

About theft: People do take these generic black cases because everyone knows there is valuable stuff inside and the cases are common and don't stand out. So,... make yours un-common. Spray paint a yellow stripe on all six sides, stencil your name four inches tall or cover it with colorful stickers. they don't take brightly colored unique luggage that can be identified from 100 feet away

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Pelican. That's what you want. Price is only about 1/2 your budget too. I suggest you first geta nice soft camera bag, pack your gera in that and then place the entire packed bag in the case. Then when you get on location leave the case in the car or truck and walk around with the bag.
Or if you get dividers and lid organiser it comes to aound £170.
Best place in UK to buy currently is here
http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_1510_case-p-26_106.html

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Or for something a bit more verastile try an Ortlieb Shuttle as you get a rubberised zipper, though not fully waterproof like the Peli and although it has wheels and handle, unusually you can very easily attach a very comfy backpack harness. Harness folds up and goes in bag that clips on front of case for when wheeling case. It's actually designed for going on a bike rack and clicks on and off in a couple of seconds - very clever design. Not quite as roomy as my other bags as laptop won't also fit.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Photo_Shuttle_Camera_Case/5360022387/

I bought mine from here
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/ortlieb-shuttle-photo-camera-bag-id47506.html
and for less than it would have cost from Wiggle, so ignore the incorrect marked price.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Or if you get dividers and lid organiser it comes to aound £170.
Best place in UK to buy currently is here
http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_1510_case-p-26_106.html

I used a case with deviders for a medium format system I used to own. They work best if you like to work out of the case. That is you like to take the case to the tripod. With medium format you tend not to walk about with multiple lenses because each one is huge. Cases just don't work as walk around bags because every time you want to get and put back the smallest thing you can to set the case dwon undo 6 latches, open the lid and reverse the process. You can't just reach in. So they are good it you are not being to mobile. So that is way I suggested a bag in the case, you only need the case for transport and storage

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Cases just don't work as walk around bags because every time you want to get and put back the smallest thing you can to set the case dwon undo 6 latches, open the lid and reverse the process. You can't just reach in. So they are good it you are not being to mobile. So that is way I suggested a bag in the case, you only need the case for transport and storage
Alternatively if you are mobile, a case with wheels is a godsend when carrying 18+kgs of kit. I used my bag for traipsing around NY recently for one day only. The rest of the time I used my Shuttle with wheels, much less hard work. You also do not have to take a wheeled bag off and put them back on which is as time consuming as several latches. Both styles are useful, neither trumps the other outright for many uses.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Any zipper closure bag will work. When your cameras are out, they will get dusty, when you open the bag to get something, dust will get inside. It just happens, clean the gear every time you eat and things will be fine. Investing a lot of money in a dustproof case doesn't get you much benefit. Now a pelican case to protect your gear on the journey may be a worthwhile investment. I just used a lowepro photo trekker (largest carryon bag I could get) and never had any problems.

If you are planning on going on safari and bringing the case in the vehicle, unless you are springing for a private ride, the pelican case will be unwelcome, there is nowhere to put it and nowhere to open it, the backpack style works better in a vehicle. Many people travelled with pelicans to the base camp, then switched to soft bags or harnesses for trips out.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
The Ortlieb shuttle also comes with a very comfy backpack harness which clips on and off very easily. Best of all worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.