Photoshop 7.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tamvly, Nov 20, 2008.

1. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

I hadn't used Photoshop in a long time. Imagine my horror when I tried to launch it other day only to get an application error. Worked fine on 10.4.

Then there is the joyful news form Adobe that there is NO upgrade path to CS4.

Anyone successfully using this older version on 10.5?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is a very well-documented problem. So no, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, except either buy a copy of Photoshop CS3 (Adobe-supported on Leopard) on eBay, download the GIMP which is free, or download the trial version of Photoshop CS4 from Adobe which will give you thirty days of fully-functional use.

3. SilentCrs macrumors regular

Not surprising seeing Photoshop 7 came out almost 7 years ago.

I try not to use ancient software when I can help it.

4. tamvly thread starter macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Thanks for replying.

Yes, as former software developer I agree that old software is sometimes best left behind. Still, I expected more from Adobe. Wishful thinking, perhaps. Why would I spend several hundred $$$ when I might not have to?

The customer support experience with Adobe was ... shall we say disappointing when I called them.

So I'll take the high road ... and buy Aperture 2. OK, maybe it's not as powerful as PS CS4. It's also $400 less expensive.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

One question I would have is do you really need the FULL Photoshop in the first place? I have the full package, but also have Photoshop Elements 6 (the newest Mac version) and am constantly amazed by how little (other than truly poweruser functions) Elements loses in functionality when compared with the full Photoshop-- particularly since Elements is $72 on Amazon! :)

Easily 90% of the web design and photo adjustment tasks I do are handled fine by Elements (and it starts up faster too! ;)), so just wanted to provide a powerful yet affordable possible solution. You might be pleasantly surprised if you check it out at Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac or download the free trial there.

BTW- Agreed on the Adobe customer service thing too! I have occasionally had good results but even they took patience!