Photoshop 8 Screenshots

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 6, 2003.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Early screenshots of the upcoming Photoshop 8 appeared on FunMac (still up) on June 20th. Appleinsider subsequently posted their own report -- but has had their images removed at the demand of Adobe Legal.

In case you missed it, some different shots have been posted on MacMerc.

2. gregnacu macrumors member

Will 8 come for Mac before Windows?

I think it would be great if Photoshop 8 was available for Mac before Windows. What are the chances of this?

3. rockman2023 macrumors member

Who knows, but PS7 still serves us well.
    I really like the new Filter Gallery - being able to apply different filters and hide it's effect like the Layers pallete. NICE! :D

4. markiv810 macrumors regular

Photoshop 8.0 in my opinion is one step closer to being a true Mac OS X application, Photoshop 7.0 somehow had the look and feel of OS 9 application.

5. acj macrumors 6502

lots to like

Like the filter implimentation, like the pixel aspect chooser. Finally can make DVD menu's in photoshop look right easy!

Will it bring all features to 16 bit editing? I hope so.

6. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

7 is/was great. my only complaint was how much of a beast it was where memory is concerned. it's understandable considering how extensive an app it is.

my only hope is that they don't go switching around the key-commands for no good reason like they did a while back.

7. gregnacu macrumors member

64 bit Photoshop!!?

Funny, I first asked, will PhotoShop 8 come for Mac before windows... Wouldn't it be fantastic if 8 was 64bit AND only for Mac! How long before 64bit PC's are available to the common man?

8. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

9. sweetaction macrumors regular

very nice

that palette menu with the filters is so nice. I forget what they are called but know what I want the results to be. very nice.

10. jazzman45 macrumors member

does anyone know if 64-bit optimizations will help much for photoshop?

also, i thought that photoshop 7 was too much like 6, at least on the windows side. and now 8 looks to be very similiar, too. on the mac side of things i understand that there has been a lot of development to make it truly native on OS X, but i feel bad for windows users because someone out there is shelling out hard earned cash for a healing brush and better history brush. I just wish that they could do more minor revision releases as these last two updates seem to be just that...updates and not a major enhancement over the predecessor.

-tyler

11. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

You know, I was bery close to buying one of the Adobe Suites about a year ago, but I'm really glad I didn't in retrospect, because if I can hold off until I can get a new G5, the Adobe suite should be at least somewhat optimized for it by then. It'll be a whole new world..."shining, shimmering, splendid...tell me, princess, now when did you last let your heart be free?"

Ok, no more Disney movies for me...

12. nickmcghie macrumors regular

Re: 64 bit Photoshop!!?

The 64-bit Athlon may come out as soon as August, and possibily before the G5 even ships.

13. stingerman macrumors 6502

I still am hanging on to PS 6 in Classic on OS X 10.2.6. It works great and I still do not see much of a reason to upgrade to 7. Maybe 8 will be worth it along with a G5, since adobe promised a G5 plugin.

The biggest advantage to Photoshop in the G5 is the tremendous bandwidth of all the parts. That Nemo demo at the Keynote was more a testament to the G5's overall architecture including the superfast mesh-switched hypertransport bus coupled with 1GHZ FSB. Sure the G5's higher clock, high instruction level parallelism, super-scalar, super SMP, unhandcuffed SIMD unit, copper wired silicon on insulator supercomputer derived chip helped ;)

14. stingerman macrumors 6502

Re: Re: 64 bit Photoshop!!?

It will be announced in August, maybe even July 28, but the Athlon 64 will not ship before the fall. The first G5's will beat it and will probably be the first part of August.

An early prototype of an Athlon 64 was shown a few weeks ago at a gamers convention and it still has a way to go. Take a look at tomshardware.com

15. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I saw most of those splash screens and folders about a week or two ago. The actual windows are new, but not all of it. A beta version of Photoshop can easily be downloaded from Carracho.

As to when it will be out, I think I remember reading that it might be around October, but that may have just been a rumor.

16. Longey Nowze macrumors regular

I read a while back I think it was an article on mac central, it was about photoshop 8, they said it was going to have more feature of digital photography, and that Adobe will be cleaning up the code too on both mac and windows, to me that sounds really good, PS needs a some cleaning! hopefully it'll be a bit smaller and less memory hogging, and a lot faster.

THANK YOU
    MaT

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

If Adobe care about the Mac platform, they will release PhotoShop for the Mac first since the majority of (legal) users are on the Mac. Last time a look it was 70% Mac. Although if you take into acount illegal copies then more people use PhotoShop on the PC than there are Macs on the planet. I hope this means there will be a new version of PhotoShop Elements that is 64bit aware.

18. mangoduck macrumors regular

mangoduck

i'd like to see photoshop more closely match some of the features in after effects, namely the live layered filters and pixel aspect ratios. looks like they're starting to agree. ae is basically ps + a timeline - brushes, so it's always been strange to me that the two don't have more in common.

i would hope adobe has more up their sleeve than revamped filters, better file browsing and 64bit support. i know it sounds like a lot, but is it worth a full version number? with the number comes the price... but then the move from version 6 to 7 wasn't too impressive (the big thing there being carbon).

also, does this gel with the other thread that had shots?

19. maczero Guest

20. mum macrumors newbie

Would you have a link to this info somewhere? Thx

21. YWN macrumors newbie

PS 8 feels somewhat faster in usage. But at first sight, it didn't look and works all that diffirent then PS 7, not a really heavy PS user, just some photo editing and making Web Designs.

I like the Filter stuff a lot though! But I really don't see a lot of diffirence with PS 7...

22. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

the browser features ID'd in the screen grab (rotate, batch mode, etc) already exist in PS7. Just click on the arrow-in-a-circle upper right in the browser window.

The keyword feature may be new, i don't know about it.

23. zoozx macrumors regular

zoozx

Same old borring filters in 8 that have not been upgraded in 10 years.
    Can we get a real cloud filter someday?

24. panyoshiba macrumors newbie

Thomas Knoll on credit list...

Isn't he the guy who made Knoll lighting Effects? I love that filter and if they include it in new PS that would be cool!!

25. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Photoshop 8! :rolleyes: Photoshop will never be the same until they can give me the "options" window the way it used to be - like it was in 5.0, 5.5 - that long options bar takes up to much screen space... it's bad enough that you have the dock popping up every once in a while... sure you can make that options bar short or tuck it away... but why... that's just more work you have to do later to make little tweaks here or there...
    I gave it a try (a whole 2 years), back in 6, and then again in OS X. It looks nice... runs well... doesn't crash... I just can't get over that options bar... I need my window tab... is there a 3rd party fix for this...