Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Hey there,

I use Photoshop on Windows at work, and would like to be able to work on somethings at home as well.

The problem is, I'm a broke college student :p

I know the Windows world has JASC Paint Shop pro, which I used before I got my Mac.

But now that I have my iMac, it seems alternatives to PS are few and far between.

Are there any similar programs to Paintshop Pro for mac? (excluding GIMP - its always brought up as an alternative, but is not a very good program in my opinion).

What are my options? (besides becoming instantly wealthy lol).

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if you are a student, you can get photoshop elements for around $50... (that's cheaper than paint shop pro...)

squall1

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Austin
Edit, sorry, didn't read your entire post. I'd give Gimp another try, I use Jaasc Paintshop on the PC at work and there is little it does that I can't do in Gimp.

Gimp is free, open source. Download X11, install. Download Gimp, install. Launch Gimp, X11 launches automatically I think, and you are good to go.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
What are the big differences between regular Photoshop and Photoshop Elements?

Are all the tools there? Will I be able to use all the same plug-ins?

Thanks for the info!

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
Josh said:

Thanks for the info!

uh... no idea if the plugins work.. but uh... typically the good plugins are pretty expensive aren't they? :-/ you're too broke to buy photoshop but want to buy expensive plugins.. neat...

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Logik said:
uh... no idea if the plugins work.. but uh... typically the good plugins are pretty expensive aren't they? :-/ you're too broke to buy photoshop but want to buy expensive plugins.. neat...

Last I checked, my two favorite plugins - Xenophex and Eye Candy - were $99 bundled ;)

Thanks for asking which plug ins I was interested in, and your assumption that I am financialy retarded is much appreciated ;)

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
Josh said:
Last I checked, my two favorite plugins - Xenophex and Eye Candy - were $99 bundled ;)

Thanks for asking which plug ins I was interested in, and your assumption that I am financialy retarded is much appreciated ;)

photoshop CS is $270 at http://www.academicsuperstore.com

you're looking at alternatives but it's unlikely anything on the mac other than photoshop or maybe elements will use those plugins.. so if you want to use your plugins.. you're stuck with either of those two.. and if you want info on elements.. why not visit their website? http://www.adobe.com

well financially retarded would mean being inable to grasp the concept of looking up prices... you were able to look up the pricing on those plugins right? so why not go check out adobe's website and see if they support what you need in elements and go from there. if you can look up prices you can surely read their website right? also if you're a student then there are numerous ways to get discounts...

Checking... http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/main.html

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Previously posted in another thread but pasted here for your pleasure, some of the features in Photoshop that are not included in Elements are :

CMYK and LAB color modes
Channels Palette
Recording Actions (for batch processing)
Adjustments: Curves, Color Balance, Match Color
Layer Masks, Layer Comps, and Quick Mask mode
Extract Filter, Lens Blur Filter
Color Replacement tool
Pen tool and paths palette
Some adjustment layers (curves, color balance, selective color, channel mixer)
Editing History Log
Text on a Path
Advanced Layer Style manipulation
Advanced Color Management
Advanced Web features and ImageReady (rollovers, slicing)

I would go with Elements if you're looking for a competent Photoshop alternative. I've never really got to grips with
Graphic Convertor but some people swear by it, could suit your needs.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Josh said:

Thanks for the info!

i know it's been posted, but i think you owe us to do some of your own research.

if you can afford $100 plug-ins, i don't think it's unreasonable for you to save up a bit and just get a full PS at an educational price... you won't beat the real thing, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.