Photoshop Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by knewsom, Nov 30, 2009.

1. knewsom macrumors 6502a

2. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

The most I can say is I'm not really a fan of GIMP. I found it difficult to use on my PC and I can't even install it on my Snow Leopard MacBook. The X11 didn't work right... the app doesn't load... I don't even know. You could give GIMP a try, but I wouldn't recommend it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well i like GIMP and i would reccomend it

4. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you find it works, with that whole X11 thing? Is it slow? Buggy? You use GIMP or GIMPShop?

It's looking sortof like the Windows version is a lot more together.... maybe I need to look harder at CinePaint.

Also, does anyone use PixelMator? It looks... well, PREEEEETY. And I like pretty, even more than I like free. :)

5. mac2x macrumors 65816

Core Image Fun House (bundled with the Xcode Tools) is a lot of fun to play with. I set it as my default iPhoto editor.

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

Gimp is ok, just if you do use it, totally try and forget everything you ever learnt in PS otherwise you wont like it one bit ;)

7. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Gimp 2.6.7. works well with Leopard and Snow Leopard.
    Yes you have to give it time to load, especially the first time.

Once loaded it works more like a windows app with the tool bars rather than being able to use the menubar plus it's back to remembering the old windows quick keys.. Price is great :p

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I get along with Gimp fine. The X11 environment isn't as nice as a native Mac app, but it doesn't really effect me when using Gimp. If you don't mind spending a little money though, Photoshop Elements is much cheaper than the full-blown Photoshop and has most of the features. I haven't really spent time with those other alternatives so can't speak to how Gimp compares really, but Gimp hasn't let me down yet.

9. Steve-M macrumors regular

For Mac you need to download Gimp from http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html. This is a Mac port of the Gimp that supports Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard. Just download the disk image for your version, the help files if you want them, and your good to go. There is nothing else to install.

10. bocomo macrumors 6502

11. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

You can still get pixelnhance but the co is out of business. They have an app called Tiffany, but it's not possible to register.

12. knewsom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Saw the $15 deal on Amazon for Pixelmator last night, and couldn't NOT order it. Just too sexy lookin' of an app. Once the new iMac gets here, I'll probably download gimp and some others too, but I have a feeling I'll be glad I got pixelmator. It's tough to do quality image manipulation in an app that's tough on the eyes.

13. Coffee-Drinker macrumors newbie

Coffee-Drinker

14. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

15. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

16. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Does X11 on Mac support tablet pressure sensitivity yet?

17. harleygold macrumors regular

harleygold

I'm using Pixelmator for now. great alternative to Photoshop. Few features photoshop does not have, yet pixelmator doesn't have some of the features photoshop has. There's ways around that.

18. macsrule25 macrumors newbie

macsrule25

Did you look at Pixelmator? I use it, and it is more user-friendly than Photoshop, and it's much, much cheaper.

www.pixelmator.com

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

20. sharkync macrumors regular

I too like GIMP and have no problem w/X11 on either Mac. Just download it from the site already recommended and you should be fine. Still have not tried it with my Wacom. When I do, I'll let folks know.