photoshop and illustrator on which mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dissenter, Feb 9, 2011.

1. dissenter, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

dissenter macrumors newbie

I need to make a purchase for my small business. Currently have a pc running xp maxed out ram 3 or 3.5 gb, which is used to run a $4k vector based design software program that is industry specific. I deal with customers who usually send in their graphic designer, typically with ai or psd files created on macs. Even though the program on my pc is very robust, I sometimes run into a snag with customer art getting into my program. I have always find a work around on my end whether it be sending the customers eps or jpeg straight to my RIP and printing from there.

Today I had one come in that had created a large project in ai and he brought eps and ai versions that I tried to pull into my program. The art was originally very huge, and he took it back and reworked it finding something he had done to a line of text had a ton of layers, making the files huge, and I couldn't get them into my program. He went back to his imac running cs4 and reworked them down into smaller files. We got the smaller of the files into my program but noticed they were missing the gradients on some of the objects.

Edit: The original files were around 82mb and second batch was around 12mb

After all that, I realize I need to pony up and get a mac at work, and this particular designer thought his 27" imac had plenty of power for ai and ps. I am lookin for some opinions as to what you guys have experienced with the imacs.

Thanks for reading all that if youre still here.

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I don't know what specific program you run, but in my experience the only issues i have with Photoshop and Illustrator files is font issues, mostly relating to fonts not being installed on the current system.

From the sounds of it looks like the specific program you use has some issues importing ps and ai files.

3. dissenter thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I made a short story long for no reason...

I;m really just looking for advice as to whether a 27" imac is robust enough for photoshop and illustrator.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Absolutely. No problems here. I've got the i7, but even the base model would do. Just load it up with RAM.

5. dissenter thread starter macrumors newbie

how much ram do you have installed?

6. tmagman macrumors 6502

i run PS CS5 Extended 64bit on a i7 macbook pro with just the 4GB of RAM and it runs amazing. To give you an idea of what kind things I am dealing with- I am often editing 700-950MB panoramic photos (in psd or tiff) without any problems.

More RAM would definitely speed it up, (i.e.- very fast to blazing fast). Just pick something with a solid processor- i would say the i7 in the iMac 27" with the 4core/8threads would suit you just fine.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

8 gb.