PhotoShop and Spaces question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Virgil-TB2, May 28, 2008.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I use PhotoShop every day and since Leopard I have been using Spaces which saves me a tremendous amount of time. My problem is that PhotoShop does not "see" Spaces at all and it turns the normal everyday pain of working with PhotoShop into something truly excruciating. What I am looking for here are workarounds if anyone has them.

My main issue is that PhotoShop forgets the positions and even the existence of almost all palettes, toolbars, etc. if you switch into a different "space." Even though the various palettes are checked as visible, they do not show as such until you uncheck them and then re-check them in the menus. This means about 20 clicks minimum to get the workspace back to where it was when you (foolishly) decided to switch spaces.

I have discovered of course that you can "save the workspace environment" (something I have never had to do before and have absolutely no use for), but PShop puts your saved workspace at the very bottom of a menu containing over 23 items! If you have twenty documents open, the menu then has 43 items, etc. ... :eek:

The other alternative is to use the "default" workspace (paradoxically at the *top* of that same menu), and switch to that each time you come back to the program. But this is also a couple of clicks that I don't need, and it doesn't work for me anyway as my usual "workspace" is the default one with only a couple of adjustments (three or four more clicks each time). so even to use the default workspace, I have this tedious four or five click routine to perform every time I switch back to the program.

So while we are waiting for Adobe to produce some software with some sort of minimal functionality....

Does anyone else have any ideas how I can use Spaces with PShop and have less than five or so wasted clicks every time I want to use the stupid thing? :mad:

2. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I've had this same trouble, and there's at least a partial workaround...

I set my scroll wheel button to hit F8 to pull me out to all my spaces, then I click into the new space that I want. This takes care of most of the Photoshop/Spaces issues that I've experienced (at least a few of which you've mentioned.)

If you have an adjustment layer dialog open though (curves, levels, etc.) it still won't recognize it if you leave the space and come back to it (but funnily enough, it will let you hit escape to get rid of it.)

So that's how I get around in Spaces most of the time now (I used to do the cmd-arrow key all the time, but I hardly use that anymore.)

Hope this helps,

-Bryan

3. acalle macrumors newbie

"If you have an adjustment layer dialog open though (curves, levels, etc.) it still won't recognize it if you leave the space and come back to it (but funnily enough, it will let you hit escape to get rid of it.)"

I tried this, to no avail.

I was working on a drawing, went into filters, accidentally went into space, and cannot get back into photo shop.

I'm on a Mac Book Pro duel core, 10.6.2 Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?