Photoshop cannot run on SSD in my MAC PRO

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adan, Sep 30, 2011.

1. adan macrumors newbie

MAC PRO Spec:
    MAC PRO 6 cores Intel Xeon "Westmere"
    RAM=16GB by Kingston (apple certified RAM module = KTA-MP1333/4G)
    HDD=Western Digital black label 1TB (original shipped by Apple)
    SSD=Kingston Hyper X 240G
    OS= MAC OS X Lion
    Adobe product = CS5.5 design standard traditional chinese version

Problem description:
    I've tried either Apple or Adobe tech support for resolving my problem. Unfortunately, I still cannot resolve my issues. Look for anyone could help me out to solve my problem. Currently,I am not able to start photoshop on my SSD drive while HDD is my secondary drive. Anyone know the issue and how to resolve the problem.

Let me describe how I set up my Mac Pro and how the problem happen.
    While I got my Mac Pro (only have one HDD), I install my CS5.5 and run photoshop. Everything just works fine. While I got my SSD, I make the SSD becomes a boot drive on the Mac PRO (the HDD was set to become a data drive now. Everything installed in the HDD was still there, and I don't remove any of CS5.5 application which was installed earlier). Then I start to install CS5.5 on SSD. The first time is ok to run photoshop. After open and close photoshop a few times, I start to run photoshop again. Then the error message occurred and the photoshop cannot run at all. The error message said "The photoshop cannot start because cannot find the temporary stored files. "

Following is my testing and result
    1. I've tried to let either SSD or HDD as a single drive to start photoshop....No problem.
    2. HDD as a main drive and SSD as a data drive..... No problem to start photoshop from HDD

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Your problem could be different, but it sounds exactly like a problem I had recently when moving my OS (and Photoshop CS5) install from one disk partition to another. The error is because Photoshop can't find the disk partition that its scratch file is supposed to be on, and instead of doing something logical like letting you select a new one, it just stops working entirely.

The solution is to reset Photoshop's preferences, and then re-select the Scratch Disk location, which is easy; you can force Photoshop to select a new scratch disk location by holding down the command and option keys when you open Photoshop.

If that fails, This article shows you where prefs files are stored.

If neither of those things work, it could be a completely different problem, but a possible solution is the old Adobe standby of ompletely uninstalling CS5.5 and deleting its prefs, then reinstall on the disk you want to use.

One last question, if none of the above helps: You didn't, by any chance, format your SSD as "Case Sensitive", did you? I know that used to cause problems on older versions of Photoshop, though I thought they had been fixed.