Photoshop CS 3 users,memory issue,heads up..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macinposh, May 9, 2007.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Dont know how widely aviable,or obvious information this is but :

Apparently in photoshop cs3,there is a intresting "feature" by default.

There is one file that isnt activated by default,resulting that your macs dont use more than 1GB of memory...

The file is in the : Applications -> CS3 -> Plug-Ins -> Extensions -> Bigger Tiles : There is a file called Bigger Tiles.plugin.

IF that file has a ~ symbol in front of it, the file is not in use and photoshop dont recognize more than 1GB of memory!!!

By removing it,and restarting photoshop,things should be groovy after that..

Well,thats what the techinician at the adobe told me. I´d be intrested to hear if he was full of *****,or right. Because I went around in our studio complex,and ALL the intel macs with CS3 was borked.

The problem wasnt present in older PowerPc macs or macs with CS2 >.

But, if anyone has any more info about the subject,like,if the above is not true,please give me the info.
    Then I can get back to adobe to ream somebodys ass for being a..well..something.

:)

2. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Do you mean remove the ~ or the complete file?

3. munckee macrumors 65816

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Remove the ~ symbol it's how Adobe Disable files, i added one to the Digimarc file in CS2 & now CS3 and the images open a lot quicker, unless thats what my mind thinks is happening..................... :eek:

5. -Alan- macrumors member

In the same directory is a file, About Bigger Tiles:

6. CptnJustc macrumors 6502

As discussed in this thread, it sounds like more of a bit of performance boost issue than just plain not recognizing over 1 GB of memory.

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

It doesn't actually say photoshop won't recognise more than i Gb of ram :(

The html file in the folder states :

The Bigger Tiles plug-in causes Photoshop to process image data in larger chunks. This will reduce the overall time to complete many operations, especially on computers with more than 1 GB of RAM installed. Bigger Tiles will also reduce the responsiveness of the application in some situations.

The Bigger Tiles plug-in is installed in the Extensions folder, within the Plug-Ins folder in the Adobe Photoshop CS3 folder. To activate it, rename it to remove the "~" from the beginning of its name.

That said, thanks very much Macinposh for this info, it does indeed work, and work rather well :) :) :)

FJ