Photoshop cs? HDR Photography

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NewbMacGuy, Mar 10, 2012.

1. NewbMacGuy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First I just want to say thanks ahead of time to any and all feedback you are able to provide regarding this matter.

I recently purchased a new DSLR camera and have been having some fun experimenting with different exposures and different settings on the camera. I would like to try my hand at some HDR photos:)

I have been doing some research and have come to the conclusion I would be best off to use photoshop cs5? it looks like photomatrix is also an option but most seem to like the simplicity of photoshop?

I don't want to go overboard but I'm willing to spend a little bit on some decent software? If you were just starting off with HDR photos would you run with CS5 or photomatrix?

If this is posted in the wrong place, please let me know and I will delete or ask mods to place it where it should be.

Thanks again to any and all that can point me in the right direction:)

NMC

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

If you want to do HDR, look at some of the programs designed for that - such as Hydra. There are others as well, all cross the price spectrum.

Simplicity and Photoshop are too words i would not use in the same sentence - check out Pixelmator or Photoline as alternatives. GIMP is free; but also not very easy to use.

3. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

Two thoughts.

1) Your question belongs on the photography forum.

2) If you are just starting then learn how to use your camera. Learn about exposure, composition, lighting, etc. before you even take on something like HDR. I agree with jlc1978 that PS is NOT the way to go. In addition to the programs jlc1978 suggests you could also look at iPhoto and Photoshop Elements.

4. NewbMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply. I will look into Hydra and see what its about. I was under the assumption it was simple but I guess not. LOL

I appreciate you taking the time to help point me in the right direction:)

NMG

----------

Thanks for pointing that out, friend. I didn't realize there was a forum dedicated to that but after further review i see it:) Any future photography questions will get posted in "Visual Media" Thanks:)

I've been using DSLR for about a year now so I have a good understanding about how to take HDR photos I'm looking for a piece of software that's not over the top complicated for right now as I learn HDR:) iPhoto does not suit my needs it worked fine for enhancing, cropping, red eye, and things of that nature but I'm ready to step it up a notch:) I'll look into Photoshop Elements thanks for taking the time to help steer me in the right direction as well its much appreciated:)

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Photoshop does soooooo many things well. Unfortunately, HDR isn't one of them.

Go with Photomatix, or check out HDR Efex Pro. I have both, but haven't used HDR Efex Pro yet. I bought the bundle, and have been using the other products, but haven't tried this one yet. I'm hoping I like it because I'm a big fan of the other Nik Software products. I love how their model of offering up a lot of educational resources on their products.