Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I've checked my manual and rechecked it, but something is wrong when I export my work from Illustrator into Photoshop I lose all my layers. I can export from Photoshop into Illustrator with no problems, so I don't understand what is wrong here.

Does anybody make sense of this?

With it being one sided I cannot finish this work! Argh.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You've definitely got the 'Write layers' option checked with maximum editability when you're exporting to .psd?

Stupid question perhaps, but it has to be the first thing to ask. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
How does the exported file appear in Photoshop? Completely flat with a white canvas? Have you tried exporting to an earlier PSD version? How many layers in there and are there sub-layers? Are you exporting to the same colour space?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Yes, it appears flat with some of the white space which is the white space from Illustrator inside the page size page.

There are, well the files and the work I have worked on are useless now, I open the same file back into Illustrator, it can see the layers but they are blank for some reason? I have two versions of this file and one is an ai file and the other is psd.

Luckily I still have the original psd file so it won't take long to get back up to speed but this is stupid to say the least.

When I originally opened the psd into Illustrator it detected the layers and I could edit them individually. So there was no problem at that stage.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
While I check the links...

I set up CS2 to work in CMYK mode and I haven't changed anything in Illustrator, it is set up for CMYK as well.

I'm going to do a test now.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
This gets weirder and weirder.

Good news first. It worked. But export doesn't work, I have to open the file again with Photoshop instead.

Bad news. Anything I do is recorded on the layer with which is selected, which was created from Photoshop. Hmmm I'm thinking I have to create another layer? I thought it would make one on its own there.

EDIT. Its working now but I cannot export to Photoshop, my comprehension behind exporting would be that it moves it into Photoshop so you can work on it. But all it ends up doing is saving it then I have to open it with Photoshop.

I also have to create my own layer manually so that those layers do not get stuck on a layer that would have been created in Photoshop originally.

Thank you for your help once again Blue Velvet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.